Althoff wins, East Side loses

As I fully expected, Althoff beat Oakville by 20+. It was close for three quarters thanks to poor shooting by Althoff in the 2nd and 3rd quarter but eventually their speed wore down a mediocre Oakville squad and the 4th quarter turned into a forced turnover and layup drill. Lisch wasn't pouring them in from outside like he normally does but he got his customary 25+ off of drives and from the line.

The best way to shut down East St. Louis is to turn Tommie into a jump shooter and that's what the well-coached and fairly athletic Quincy squad did. East Side is the 2nd most poorly coached team I've seen this year, the other being Hazelwood Central. Tommie would beat his man off the dribble and pass it to an open teammate only for Luster, Smith, Howlett, etc. to throw up a brick. When someone other than Tommie handled the ball East Side was prone to turn the ball over. Demario Smith and Darian Luster's post defense was nonexistent.

When Tommie tried to take over the game by beating his man and taking the shot himself, two Quincy defenders often went up with him to contest the shot. To make matters worse, Tommie couldn't hit a free throw to save his life. It just wasn't his day.

3 star, did bennie lewis III play much? personally, i like his and the other junior, woods more than any other east side kids besides tommie.

thanks for the update. i thought the same thing coaching wise when watching the shootout game vs hazelwood as it was a battle of ineptness that day.

Speaking of Quincy,they used to really have a program,is that still true?Remember watching them play for the state title in like 81(dating myself)I believe that team was considered the mythical national champions (Payne-Iowa,Bruce Douglas-Illinois,and another Douglas went to No.Illinois the following year).

went to the althoff game tonite with naticat. althoff just blew quincy out tonite. kevin had a quiet 25. got to meet slufanskip and shoot the breeze during the game. great time. slufan and tseugnekillib also stopped by. so we had a mini board meeting.

quincy has a total embarrassing a-hole of a coach. got a tech, then wanted an explanation why. two refs tried to explain and it was dragging on and on. the third ref comes over and says get the game going and orders the coach to sit the rest of the game. the coach smartly tells him he coaches from the sidelines, and the ref says not anymore. so the coach sits his chair just outsider the sideline and just inside the coach box.

of course he got his second tech and was tossed. then made a big show of walking across the floor to the lockerroom. nice to know the disgusting coach act has now made it to the high school level.

livingston was his usual spectacular self. championship wont be close imo. as much as i would love to see althoff give them a game, i am doubting anyone can. that is one good team. game time is 2:30 pm tomorrow.