2004 calendar

alameda bob

After returning yesterday from a 5 day Christmas Holiday, I found a present from Fr. Biondi with some impressive news about '03 at SLU.

My questions on the Now & Then photos especially July. What direction was the photo of Laclede Park taken? Is the new arena going to be where the lakes are now? It looks like an old school building behind the right lake, will it be back there?

Who is the statue walking with the staff in October?

I graduated in '64 and have driven by only a few times since then. I'll get to a game in the new arena next time I visit for sure.

With respect to the July photo, on the right side of the photo you can see the old Warning Schoool. A little to the right of the Warning School, you can see the existing tennis courts. (Both the school and the tennis courts are behind the scoreboard.) The new arena will be on the site of the Warning School and the tennis courts. The camera is pointing southeast in this photo.

OK, thanks Narc. I assume south is to the right and east to the left. The scene looks a lot better than the old b/w photo and will be even better with the new arena in it.

Now who is the Statue in Oct? What is the status of the Continental Building also? My Dad had a great office there before he moved to Clayton in the 50's.

I noticed on the schedule only 3 road games in the first 11 (including exhibitions) and only 9 of the next 18 at home. I hope the coaches have everyone ready now. No more time to experiment is there?

The crazy thing is that most of the "before" pictures on that calendar aren't that old. I started at SLU in 1993, and the campus looked fairly similar to the before pictures in many respects. I had forgotten about the seedy motel that stood on the site of Parks College and the HUD high rise that was located where the law school atrium is now located. I remember sitting in the quad and hearing a loud "boom" when that building was being demolished!

I believe the statute is of St. Ignasius, but don't quote me on that one.

The Continential Building is now fully restored into apartments. Even the beacon on the roof is back in operation. It is gorgeous.

http://www.builtstlouis.net/return01p.html

http://www.continental-building.com/

The old woolworth's space at the base of the building is in the process of being renovated into office and retail.

I graduated in 1967 and I go to the campus regularly for meetings and events. The overall change to the school is nothing short of a miracle. The overall campus is much larger and the quality of the new buildings, including the new student center, is excellent. I urge everyone who has not visited the campus recently to visit. You will be amazed!

for the builtstlouis web page. I looked around on it and saw a lot of stuff about SL I never could figure out. I am glad to see some rehabing is happening, but boy is there a lot of work to do in the north side of town.

One section brought back some SLU student days memories to me. I lived at home like most of the people I knew. I think back now as 8 years of high school with Mom doing everything for me. Senior year ('63-64) two other townies and I rented a flat in Gaslight Square for about $100/mo. to entertain our friends. We called it the key club. No one lived there, it was so noisy with all the nightlife. It actually was a rocking area 7 days a week! We had a fridge for the beer, a bit of cast off furnitue, we had a blast.

I don't think SL has ever had anything to compare with that area since then. I left town for good in July of '64 but have always stayed a faithful SLUH and SLU alum. PS, sorry I misspelled your name above.

What is most amazing is that the stretch of neat old buildings and warehouses between downtown St. Louis and SLU's campus are slowly being renovated into neighborhoods. Within the next ten to fifteen years, it should become a contiguous residential district.

The Washington Avenue stretch between Tucker and 20th has received a lot of press, but there are pockets of rehab springing up all over. In the 20th - 22nd blocks between Olive and Washington, a series of rehabs are underway (most notably, in the old sporting news building). West along Locust between Grand and Jefferson, residential projects are also taking place. Several posters on this board have referenced a few of the successful projects that are in the path of the original arena location.

On the other side of campus, a lot of the real players in the city are working hard to develop a tech corridor between Wash U's med campus and SLU. Most of this development will be along Forest Park Parkway.

Plans are now in place to rehab the old Warehouse of Fixtures building next to Humphrey's into lofts.

Even your old gaslight square area is being redeveloped with new housing targeted toward young professionals.

Most people don't realize that the Olive/Lindell stretch from downtown to Grand was for a long time considered the most important thoroughfare in St. Louis. The redevelopment of this area is very exciting.

If you have interest in the great history of these areas of St. Louis, I highly recommend The Queen of Lace: http://www.wordnews.com/books.html It is a great read with great historical pictures.

for the link. The books published by WEW look very interesting to us former St. Louisans. The new year is the centennial of the zenith of SL history with the Worlds Fair and Olympic Games. I hope everyone has a safe and fun time in Forest Park tonight celebrating the Bills win over the Flyers.

Have you got a link to follow the Lewis and Clark reenactment this year?