Strange..USM and Marquette game moved....

gister

i agree courtside. my guess is that so miss, sold out for a payday. i.e. a guaranteed hefty sum to pass on the home game but guarantees a much bigger paycheck.

On their web site, USM stated they moved their home game with Marquette to Green Bay as a means of "increasing their revenue"!

In other words, the low budget USM bball program will get a healthy check for moving the game to Green Bay.

I wonder if the C-USA had to approve USM actions. Otherwise, what would keep USM from selling their home games with a Cincy or Louisville?

If your battling a Cincy, Louisville or Marquette for a top four seeded position in the post-season conference tournament and one of those three can turn their road game at USM into a "buy", while you have to make a mid-week road trip to Hattisburg, then I believe it becomes a fairness issue regarding the conference schedule.

C-USA may not last long enough for this selling of conference home games to become a serious issue, but imho your starting down a slippery trail! (p.s... maybe since it was sold to a neutral site the league approved moving the game)

i know by definition it is a neutral site, since it isnt either team's home court, but we all know the number of marquette t-shirts will greatly outnumber the southern miss shirts. i had not thought about the ramifications, but you are correct it sure does set a dangerous precedence.

I don't think it will be an alarming trend. I don't think Marquette was looking for it. Now, GB's coach is former top Marquette assistant, GB is 2 hours or so from Marquette U. It spells road trip for any college student...even though S. Miss is not a good draw for anyone. Nobody gets up for them. In fact, it may even do better as a possible college road trip for the kids, than it would at Marquette, ...who knows? I know they draw incredibly well at Marquette, but a game against S Miss, yawn. Also, I don't know whatit is about the upper Midwest, but all those folks are buddies, Crean, Izzo, GB coach, O'Neil, etc...Crean was so determined to get his foot in the door in Minnesota, the only upper Midwest state he hadn't cracked, that he signed two players from there, one project, and one good ball player. ...and passed on other kids and filled up all of his slots. S. Miss must need the cash.

Bottom line, USM takes dollars and sells their home court advantage for a conference game. Personally, I think it is bs.

If money is an issue, let USM give up one of their non-conference home games against West Alabama or William Carey College and go pick up a big check at the likes of a Syracuse or an Indiana.

USM is playing with the integrity of the C-USA conference race and evidently doesn't care.