An awesome Rumor

I just read that before you posted. God it sounds like a good Deal for SLU. Admitedly we lose Louisville and Cincy. But the Basketball conference is VERY VERY SOLID.

That is one hell of a Conference too. Although how are they going to work the rest of the sports? Like Soccer and Baseball, etc. Those are great for B-Ball and F-Ball, but Athletic Departments are more than just those.

Steve

Boy, would Memphis ever get hosed under this senario. They are the one CUSA school in the upper tier that I think is in a worse position than SLU (their football program is actually an impediment for Memphis in the conference realignment saga). As far as SLU, we would come out of this thing smelling like a rose if this plan came to be.

A couple quick thoughts:

1) NO Way would Notre Dame go into this league for football.

2) I think adding the CUSA football teams makes the Big East even weaker than they are now. I don't see Miami being impressed by this set up.

3) I agree with what has been said about the basketball only conference side of the Big East - I think it would be a good proposal for SLU.

In summary, I don't see this happening, but stranger things have happened.

What happened to Xavier? Do you think that Cincy put the nix on that?

Football wise the Big East is no worse off then before - loosing the Hokies hurts but picking up Louisville and East Carolina can make up for that on an overall strenght basis. You are probably right about ND but I heard a national reporter on the radio today who said that ND might agree with something like this if they can keep all their current revenue.

BB wise - it is a winner for the Big East and SLU.

As far as minor sports are concerned, you can play everyone within your own division and spice it up by rotating teams from the other division so that every 4 or 5 years you play everyone at least once.

Memphis does get hosed in this scenerio but they are a victim of their location and having a poor football program. The add nothing to the football side and because they have football they can not join the non-football division.

I would take this in a heartbeat.

My concern is with soccer. The rest of our minor sports are nothing to brag about. I would think Sorber and Donnigan would not be upset with this league at all. St. Johns and and Seton Hall are very good soccer programs. Marquette, who beat us a couple years ago is not bad and Dayton is okay. Beyond that so - so. We could still keep SMU, Creighton, and our other good nonconference foes and we might be able to pick up a good non-conference match with UAB.