Penn's Dunphy to Temple

.. intact. He already knows the local scene and Penn has had success. You recruit Philly and keep those kids home, you have a cahnce every year at a national title. Look at some that got away: Chamberlain, Rasheed Wallace, DeJuan Wagner, Omar Wiliams, Maurice Rice, the two kids going to NC next year. Add a couple of thsoe to the likes of Steven Smith, Mardi Collins, Jameer Nelson, and others, and the Phily scene is ripe with talent. I think Temple did the right thing here, short of keeping it in house. I thought Mark Macon was the next in line but it looks like ties are being severed in that way.

I amsur eth ehiring will have it detractors, all do. Whatever happened to Brian Gregory?

Besides the second group of players (Smith, Nelson) why would any of those guys gone to Temple instead of where they ended up?? Hmmm, UNC or Temple. Tough choice.

The other candidate was Rick Brunson, former Temple star who is still in the NBA. Have to think Dumphey is a guy who will be there a few years then pass the torch to Macon or Brunson.

I think Spoon was 61 when he took the UNLV job and 51 or 52 when he took the SLU job. He's a good example, actually. At UNLV he got "sick" or whatever and turned the job over to his son in the third (or maybe second?) year and was gone.

He was a good coach at SLU but a pretty lazy recruiter. He got Waldman and Justin Love and Heinrich (and some other pretty good players, just naming a few here) and Larry Hughes had a sick brother. I guess he did pretty well considering he spent more time in taverns than recruiting.

Also, I think the difference between 51 or 52 and 57 is pretty big.

How many years can you really expect from somebody that age who hasn't coached in the big time...sorry, he was successful at Penn but the Ivy is a 1 bid conference.

If you were a high school senior, how long do you think he'd be there?