Reply to MU Tiger

SluSignGuy

moo boy, i you truly were a billikens.com fan and have been paying attention for the last 7 years, you would know i am the biggest opponent of the "buy games" in the world. i think they are completely useless and insulting to the fans. so dont put me in that grambling category. again, it isnt slu that is ducking this game. it is pretty q. in the meantime, we are doing fine without the tigers on our schedule. if they want to drop us so they can play valpo so be it.

I never said it wasn't worthwhile. I simply asked, because I was curious, where all this bizarre hatred of MU came from.

I don't think the game generates that much interest among the MU faithfull as a whole, at least outside of St. Louis. I also don't really know when they became such big "rivals." Back when I was in school at MU, and SLU was winning a lot of games with Bonner & company, I don't remember any MU fans saying it would be great if we played SLU, or saying that SLU was a rival. The first I heard about SLU/MU even being an issue was a few years later when I was looking at cars at Lou Fusz Toyota and I struck up a conversation with Anthony Jones (I think that's the right name, the Billiken player who graduated from Vashon), who was a salesman there at the time, and he told me that MU was "scared" of playing SLU. That was news to me. I'd never heard the two mentioned together. The MU/SLU talk did pick up when Spoonhour had his big years, and suddenly the average St. Louis sports fan suddenly jumped on the Spoonhour bandwagon. But my original question remains, how in the world did MU become SLU's big rival, and where did all this hatred come from. Despite all of the drawn out posts, basically all it boils down to is that you don't like MU because some MU fans have looked down on mighty SLU.

Whaaaaaa.

With all of your superior intellect and education (not to mention moral bearing), I expected a little more substance to it then that.

I will never attend another SLU versus MU game again. I have been to hundreds of college and high school basketball games. Only twice have I ever felt threatened and BOTH were when SLU played MU. I hear the same thing from Illini, KU, even Iowa fans. (The antlers have a rather unpleasant reputation.)

Maybe it is because I am older. Maybe it was because some drunk punk from Mizzou in his cute little Izod sweater wanted to beat me up while I was carrying my two year old daughter out of Saavis (after repeated polite requests from me asking him to keep his profanities to himself, I requested the assistance of an usher). Maybe it was the beer shower a group of SLU fans, including me, received after the game in the Dome. I understand statistics just fine and I know my experiences are not a valid sample to dictate a representation of all MU fans, but I've simply seen enough.

I just don't care to associate with arrogant, unpleasant people.

mu, you have to admit we as billiken fans are pretty uniform in our hatred about missouri. we all have told you over and over again about missouri refusing to play and the consistently patronizing and abominable treatment we generally receive from tiger fans. why do you continue to ask? do you suppose if you ask enough we will change what we say? if you want that to change, i suggest treating us differently.

They are a legend in their fans minds...now if they do happen to win anything worthwhile then and only then will they have any right to pump their chest and look down on SLU. Until then, they will just remain a bunch of Kansas wannabes.

Roy, I'll defer to your recollection on this, but I could swear that someone came back from a Billiken club meeting last year where coach Soderberg was there, and reported that Soderberg said that it looked promising for a four year series beginning the year after this one. Perhaps it was just wishful thing on my part.

I think both schools play excellent non-conference schedules, and neither program "needs" the game, but I'll never understand why Quin won't play it. Hell, he won two of the three games that were played, and MU is better now than they were in any of those three seasons. Georgia plays Georgia Tech, Kentucky plays Louisville, Cincinnati plays Xavier, Wisconsin plays Marquette, and on and on. SLU/MU would be (and was for three years) an excellent series. It is no different than you guys playing SMS each year (I think we should play them too by the way).

The SMS game is always tough for you guys because of the underdog/no respect angle that SMS gets to play, but it has been an excellent, entertainging series.

True enough Roy. Although I disagree with most of your opinions about MU (not all), you are if nothing else consistent. I posed the question directly to Steve for a reason, knowing he was much younger than you and I. I was trying to determine if this MU hatred thing is a nurture or nature thing. Plus, I understand Steve and I graduated from the same high school--a public high school, so I thought that Steve probably didn't have the anti-public school bias that many catholic school kids seem to have.

I think the best idea Cheeseman would be to drop the current conference configuration, and just have every college team in a given state be in the same conference. That way MU, SLU, SMS, SEMO, Truman, UMKC, et al, could just be in one big conference. You could call every conference the braggin' rights conference, and then specify the state. We would be in the braggin rights, Missouri, conference. It would be great. Then MU and SLU could play, like, 4 times a year. We could play once in Columbia, once in St. Louis, maybe once in Wentzville, once in Warrenton.

The bad thing for us is that SMS would probably win the damn thing every year.

Then at the end of the year, you have the champion of each state play in the NCAA tournament.