tommy timmy today

billiken_roy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent just said he is too negative. i have also said a lot that i dont think he knows much about basketball and in particular the billikens. and today my only b!tch is not that he is too positive, but that he couldnt recognize that the billikens did not do an exceptionally good job on defense thus while it was a good game and a very important game, it was not the best game they have played all year.

if he wants a fair shake, then he should start doing his job to cater to the billiken fandom.

>i havent just said he is too negative. i have also said a

>lot that i dont think he knows much about basketball and in

>particular the billikens. and today my only b!tch is not

>that he is too positive, but that he couldnt recognize that

>the billikens did not do an exceptionally good job on

>defense thus while it was a good game and a very important

>game, it was not the best game they have played all year.

>

>if he wants a fair shake, then he should start doing his job

>to cater to the billiken fandom.

He should cater to us? Huh? He is a writer not a prostitue you idiot. Footes is right, no matter what he says you're going to *****. IV said it was their "biggest win of the season", Rammer couldn't stop talking about what a great game it was. They had five players in double figures. They had their highest point total of the year and highest conference total since 2002. They outrebounded Charlotte and held them to 11 free throws on their home court. They beat the second place team on their own floor. Everyone else is excited and happy and you complain because Timmerman didn't write about our defense.

You seriously need to get some help. Why do you even read his articles anymore?

P.S You can go ahead with your predictable "drunken marine" comments or your gutless spin. I bet when you were a child, you held your breath until you got your way. It doesn't seem like you've outgrown that tactic.

There is a computer parsing program that does a sort and Ranken summing of newspaper articles to analyze priming - a writing technique that predisposes readers to think a certain way.

You can set it to monitor for political bias, or certain other criteria. When set for detecting a positive/negative bias and running Timm's articles through the process, the majority come out at a negative 2 to a negative 5 on a 10 point scale.

Graham's game articles on Mizzou normally grade out in the exact same range.

The most highly primed sections of the Saint Louis articles are generally at the start of the article, where priming is most effective.

Some people can maintain that there is no priming, but there is. It may not be intentional, but an impartial computer program with a industry standardized vocabulary bank says it is there, and firmly on the negative side...with a 95% CL.

It reminds me somewhat of people who claim they are Billikens fans, but devote the majority of their energy ripping staunch Billikens fans. Cognative dissonance at its best.

C'mon, "horsecrap" is not the kind of stuff that people find offensive. Please don't use this issue to pick fights with people you don't see eye to eye with. Can't we all just be respectful of one another without picking a fight at every opportunity.

>There is a computer parsing program that does a sort and

>Ranken summing of newspaper articles to analyze priming - a

>writing technique that predisposes readers to think a

>certain way.

>

>You can set it to monitor for political bias, or certain

>other criteria. When set for detecting a positive/negative

>bias and running Timm's articles through the process, the

>majority come out at a negative 2 to a negative 5 on a 10

>point scale.

>

>Graham's game articles on Mizzou normally grade out in the

>exact same range.

>

>The most highly primed sections of the Saint Louis articles

>are generally at the start of the article, where priming is

>most effective.

CollieDave,

THis is the most worthless piece of info anyone has put out on here in a while. You can manipulate mechanisms like this to give you any info you want. If you don't believe me, read Ann Coulter's book Bias. She would have you believe from her "research" that the media is biased. Of course with a closer look at her manipulation of data, you find out that she is just a nutbag.

>It reminds me somewhat of people who claim they are

>Billikens fans, but devote the majority of their energy

>ripping staunch Billikens fans. Cognative dissonance at its

>best.

Good point here. This reminds me of people back in the day claiming to be fans of Germany but spending the majority of their time ripping Hitler. In all seriousness though, you're probably one of those people who say "if you're against the war you must hate America." I was going to give you a little more credit but you're rising up the idiot rankings.

So predictable. It's good to see that Roy has risen above the "I know you are but what am I" level of debate. Two can play at that game. I do enjoy the occasional drink. I'm sure many on this board do. It seems that you enjoyed more than a few on the night you met your wife. Talk about beer goggles.

your partner in crime, footes, would consider that an unforgiveable post and hold it against you forever. let's see how consistent he is now. btw, you obviously need your eyes checked.

>your partner in crime, footes, would consider that an

>unforgiveable post and hold it against you forever. let's

>see how consistent he is now. btw, you obviously need your

>eyes checked.

I could care less how Footes feels. I guess it's okay for you to insinuate that people are alcoholics and use profanity but when someone responds they're the one at fault.

BTW, my eyes are fine.

Spoken just like science is only good science if it supports your position, phan.

In this case, the testing bias is minimized because the scaling is already predetermined, by PhD wordsmiths from varied walks of life. They really don't care whether the Post writers scribe negative or positive content re the Billikens. As the grade level of the content is determined by the average number of syllables per word, so is the level of priming determined by the usage of specific words and phrases of predetermined value, phan.

You are trying to argue over how blue the sky is, when no matter how much you bluster, the refractive quality of the sky discerned by people with common sense is blue.

And I have always heard it was the Republicans who always had closed minds.

>Spoken just like science is only good science if it supports

>your position, phan.

>

>In this case, the testing bias is minimized because the

>scaling is already predetermined, by PhD wordsmiths from

>varied walks of life. They really don't care whether the

>Post writers scribe negative or positive content re the

>Billikens. As the grade level of the content is determined

>by the average number of syllables per word, so is the level

>of priming determined by the usage of specific words and

>phrases of predetermined value, phan.

>

>You are trying to argue over how blue the sky is, when no

>matter how much you bluster, the refractive quality of the

>sky discerned by people with common sense is blue.

>

>And I have always heard it was the Republicans who always

>had closed minds.

Collie,

Forgive me for not fully believing in a computer program that discerns whether an article is positive or negative. I can read and come up with my own conclusion. And besides what should the Bills "rating" be? What does the computer say that the article rating should be for a college basketball team with the Billikens record? On the scale, should the articles following the Bills loses be rated as a 10 or what?

It's possible this technology could serve some useful purpose but determining whether or not TImmerman writes fair articles about the Bills is not one of them.

Just out of curiousity, can you please provide the link to this site so the rest of us can try it out.

Try a search engine like Google. That is spelled g..o..o..g..l..e.

Learn how to think and you might even use your (presumed) college education.

Once you stumble on one of these programs, try using it for your own elucidation and education before you open your bully pulpit again. I would direct you, but you already know the one I use is corruptly biased:-)

If you can find a grade level parser and correctly tag Timm's last article, I'll give you another hint.

Judging from your past ad hoc conversations, you might want to use a site like this as a starting point...

http://csep.psyc.memphis.edu/cohmetrix/rea...ityresearch.htm

>Try a search engine like Google. That is spelled

>g..o..o..g..l..e.

>

>Learn how to think and you might even use your (presumed)

>college education.

>

>Once you stumble on one of these programs, try using it for

>your own elucidation and education before you open your

>bully pulpit again. I would direct you, but you already know

>the one I use is corruptly biased:-)

>

>If you can find a grade level parser and correctly tag

>Timm's last article, I'll give you another hint.

CollieDave,

The fact that you're being less than forthcoming about your source and where to find makes me a little suspicious, like you're trying to hide somthing. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't provide a link for the rest of the board to use and see for ourself. Also, you avoided my questions from my last post which again leads me to believe your full of ****.

Signing off,

Phan, from my bully pulpit way up high

To CollieDave - cowering like a peon down below.

Phan, I am not arguing whether Tommy writes "fair" articles or not. I don't care. The parse engines I use occasionally judge whether information(input) uses a negative or positive prime. Vocabulary is prejudged to be either positive or negative, and to a varying degree. First and last sentences are weighted due to a perceived importance in English usage culture.

It is a shame your intellectual superiority does not allow you to provide many useful conversations on this forum. If you spent as much time actually doing some basic web research as you do slamming others, you might become a better person. Try reading anything Arthur Ashe wrote for starters.

As it stands now, research = 0 minutes.

Slamming me = 2 minutes.

Check out that U of Memphis site, it has some decent info.

>Phan, I am not arguing whether Tommy writes "fair" articles

>or not. I don't care. The parse engines I use occasionally

>judge whether information(input) uses a negative or positive

>prime. Vocabulary is prejudged to be either positive or

>negative, and to a varying degree. First and last sentences

>are weighted due to a perceived importance in English usage

>culture.

You obviously do care or you wouldn't have responded to the thread in the first place. And do you need a search engine to tell you whether you liked an article? You're still ignoring my questions which again leads me to believe that you're full of it. Anyone can say they use this "search engine" but then never produce said engine to back up what their point is.

>

>It is a shame your intellectual superiority does not allow

you to provide many useful conversations on this forum. If

>you spent as much time actually doing some basic web

>research as you do slamming others, you might become a

>better person. Try reading anything Arthur Ashe wrote for

>starters.

It's too bad my intellectual superiority puts you on the defensive so much that you have to spend your time playing with make believe search engines. You waste all the that time and you still look like an ***. If you spent as much time thinking for yourself instead of letting Roy or a computer do it for you, you might become a better person. Try reading anything Mort Walker wrote for starters.

As it stands now:

me = right

you = wrong

Phan, I am not the "fair" police. I do not care. I do not.

It is correct to say that Timm uses words that will prime a reader's understanding of an article. Parsing his articles and understanding how he constructs his clauses and sentences will reveal this, something you ignore and yet debate ad homenium.

I'm glad you prefer Mort to Arthur. After all, Mort has had his works published for far longer, and with a much larger readership.

Good luck at Mizzou.

I'm not sure what it has to do with this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're assuming that the articles are all supposed to be positive. Especially early on SLU had some particularly frustrating games. I think you can get a fair observation of what's happened in several games and have your program spit it out as "negative". As long as it's fair, I don't really care what your result is.

This particular thread was about the 2 or 3 most recent articles written. roy keeps complaining about one negative sentence in the article spoiling it. Then he complained that the most recent article was too positive. The point is that he can't seem to be pleased.

SLU is on a roll now. Let's focus on that.

Perhaps we should use the software to evaluate some of roy's posts to see if he's being fair to TT!

Who wrote the program, Winston Smith?