Golf Program being dropped

>Through my sources in the Athletic Department, I have found

>out that the SLU is dropping the GOlf PROGRAM and starting a

>track program. Just thought I would keep you guys updated.

Are you sure about that. They just added women's golf recently. I will make a call tomorrow but that is a real surprise to me.

>Through my sources in the Athletic Department, I have found

>out that the SLU is dropping the GOlf PROGRAM and starting a

>track program. Just thought I would keep you guys updated.

The more I think about it I can hardly believe that they are dropping the golf program. I know Ed recently resigned but a Track program would consist of more athletes and bigger expense. I just don't see that happening especially with all the other second teir sports still well under funded. I will be interested to see about this tomorrow. If it is true kudos for the post.

i wonder what the gregson kid, who was the metro east golfer of the year, will do now as he had signed in the fall i believe to attend slu.

we dont have a track. that is a fact that concerns me. if we thought we had a hard time recruiting basketball players with west pine,how in the world do we recruit sprinters, hurdlers, pole vaulters etc without a track.

>i wonder what the gregson kid, who was the metro east golfer

>of the year, will do now as he had signed in the fall i

>believe to attend slu.

I contacted a couple of people I know and in fact they are trying to do some fundraisinfg for an indooor track squad. As far as dropping the golf program, no they are not. They are currently looking for a new head coach. They just added women's golf a year ago. If I hear other wise I will let all my good buddies on the board know!

Damn...i wish they had track when i was at SLU. I was quite the shotputter in high school and would have loved to give it a try in college. Thanks for the info. I'm just wondering what makes them think they can start up a new sport and build an indoor track; while botching this whole arena thing.

>Damn...i wish they had track when i was at SLU. I was quite

>the shotputter in high school and would have loved to give

>it a try in college. Thanks for the info. I'm just wondering

>what makes them think they can start up a new sport and

>build an indoor track; while botching this whole arena

>thing.

From my understanding it is really in the early stages. They are using people from the rec center and their facilities and trying to raise funds for the meat of the program. It really puzzles me why they are doing this. With the lack of facilities and all the budget restraints I wonder what or who brought on this idea to stretch the department even thinner. I would have suggested to add more money to the current programs we have. Most of the sports at SLU are underfunded which makes it difficult to compete in the first place.

>Billsboy, I think you are wrong. My source that the golf

>program is being dropped true. Then answer this, why is

>there no posting for a head coach for the golf program,

>unlike the field hockey coach. Also, why are they having a

>Athletic department administrator act as the golf coach for

>the remainder of the season?

To answer your question, they will have an administrator take over because the season pretty much is under way. Field hockey is a fall sport. It would not be a quality search to find someone outside the department in a week or so. Secondly, I posted that the people I talked to which are reliable sources said they had not heard the golf program being cut. Everyone i spoke with told me they just started the women's program a year ago and they just designated that position as a fulltime head coach for both men and women. It just does not add up. It would be a complete waste to cut that. But like I said earlier, if they cut golf not many people in the department are aware of it and it would be a huge mistake to cut a program that has recently been upgraded.

The SLU men's cross country team did win this event and women came in 3rd. While it sounds nice, there were only 4 schools in the Div 1 category. I am linking the history of the event, sounds like a good idea for the few schools that participate in it.

http://slubillikens.collegesports.com/spor.../081004aac.html

I would like to see SLU add track to the athletic department also. I would guess they would practice at a high school facility, maybe Washington U. Not sure about indoor track, I would guess Rec Center would be the primary practice spot for now. Maybe SLU and Harris Stowe could get together and build a track facility for both schools to use.

While this is kind of minor even if it happens, I think it does show that SLU wants to upgrade the athletic department as a whole. This is something to the good.

first i love track and field. i was a distance runner in high school. i have a great friend that still throws the shot put nationally as his main hobby. but this is crazy. we talk about not having facilities putting us at a disadvantage in our main sports and now we want to add a sport where we would have to train in the park and borrow time from high schools? again i ask how in the world do we turn that into a recruiting advantage?

why dont we concentrate on building the programs we already have first. to start another no matter how on the cheap we take it, will steal money from other programs that already dont get enough funding.

>first i love track and field. i was a distance runner in

>high school. i have a great friend that still throws the

>shot put nationally as his main hobby. but this is crazy.

>we talk about not having facilities putting us at a

>disadvantage in our main sports and now we want to add a

>sport where we would have to train in the park and borrow

>time from high schools? again i ask how in the world do we

>turn that into a recruiting advantage?

>

>why dont we concentrate on building the programs we already

>have first. to start another no matter how on the cheap we

>take it, will steal money from other programs that already

>dont get enough funding.

BROY! I hope your sitting down but we agree 100%

If something sounds so incredibly insane and inane that NO ONE can fathom a hair of sense that it would be in the school's best interest to do it, it must be false.

Don't see it happening. If it were to happen, wouldn't it make sense to combine this track thing with the Arena?

Even our Athletic Department couldn't be that poor of a planning group.

mhg

>If something sounds so incredibly insane and inane that NO

>ONE can fathom a hair of sense that it would be in the

>school's best interest to do it, it must be false.

>

>Don't see it happening. If it were to happen, wouldn't it

>make sense to combine this track thing with the Arena?

>

>Even our Athletic Department couldn't be that poor of a

>planning group.

>

>mhg

Unfortunately he is right. They are planning to do a form of indoor track from what I understand. So far the athletic department has not highly touted the idea. I wonder why. The only thing that really seems unclear is whether they are dropping golf. I have been told no but Orlando seems to be pretty sure. I think this is a huge blunder by the department. A real head scratcher.

Looking at Xavier, it looks like their track team only competes in the distance events. Basically the track team and cross country teams are the same people, but it allows them to compete year round, rather than just in the fall. I didn't see any mention of other events, like the field events or even sprints. The head coach of CC is also the head coach of the track team. I would guess this helps a lot in recruiting the athletes, the option of competing year round vs just one semester.

If this is what SLU is exploring, I think you can see that expenses would be similar to what CC is now. Of course there is an indoor(winter) season and outdoor(spring) season for track, so travel expenses would be more than just the one CC season.

I noticed SLU does only compete in 7 men's sports and 9 women's sports. I don't know what the minimum is needed in order to stay Div 1 or if the A10 has a number, but 7 and 9 seem pretty low.