Some thoughts from a GT perspective

RamblinRed

I see most on this board don't give St. Louis much of a chance against GT this Saturday, I think that is a mistake. There are a number of factors involved with this game that could make it much closer than some here think. IMO this is one of the most unnerving games for GT in their OOC schedule and here is why.

1. This is our first game after finals and historically GT plays sloppy and sluggish in that game. GT practices very little during finals week. Since their game last Saturday. there is one practice on Tuesday afternoon and then not another one until Friday afternoon. Last year the first game after finals was against TN in this same building. GT played sloppy all afternoon, missing 14 FT and eventually losing on a 50ft buzzer beater by TN.

2. Not a home game. This game is not a true home game for GT. Rather this game is played at Phillips Arena (the Atlanta Hawks home floor) as part of the Peach Bowl basketball Classic for Kids doubleheader. So GT will have only 1 practice on the floor at all before playing St. Louis, negating alot of the home floor advantage. Also, this is the first game of a doubleheader. The second game is UGA-Clemson. Whatever UGA fans show up for the first game will be rooting for St. Louis, so there should be a sizable contingent rooting against GT. Simply not the same atmosphere than playing at Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

3. Continuity. This is the first game that GT will have the services of 5'11 CG Will Bynum who transferred from AZ last winter. So how that will affect the rotation and chemistry is yet to be seen.

in the end I think this game comes down to tempo. If GT can establish the uptempo game it likes St. Louis will have a hard time staying close. If St. Louis can force GT to play more of its half court game then they will have the chance to pull off the upset. The one thing that i am hopeful of as a GT fan is that GT's early season success has really been fueled by its defense. In 7 games it has had 1 bad defensive half (1st half at Cornell). On the season no team has shot over 40% from the field or 33% from 3-pt range and every team has had more TO than assists. If GT can do that Saturday to St. Louis it should win, but it needs to come ready to play.

Tomorrow I will post a GT overview with strengths and weaknesses, what GT likes to do both offensively and defensively and player profiles.

RamblinRed

Ramblin, thanks for the post. If the game were to be played in STL at Savvis center, then I believe our posters would have more faith. We are a very difficult team on our home court. But on the road, even more so than most teams, we are a different team. The one thing you mentioned, playing the game on an NBA court, might be an advantage for the Billikens in that their home court, Savvis, is an NBA style arena. I don't know if the depth perception is different for the shooters as the fans are farther back from the court but I know it takes a college player time to adjust playing on an NBA style court.

... but by all means, please continue in your efforts to convince the Billiken faithful that our chances are much higher than we suppose against GTech.

Thanks for the post Ramblin. As JJ states, our team is just horrendous on the road. That is why I am really writing this game off. However, you are certainly correct about the tempo. There is no way this Billiken team can run with a fast break offense. We simply cannot score enough points to keep up. But judging by your comments, if we establish the pace of play, I certainly think we could be in it in the final 4 minutes.

I think GT will have a harder time establishing the tempo against Soderberg's staunch defense. I agree that you're right, and I think SLU's gameplan might make it a very interesting game. I will say that the Homecourt advantage still exists, simply because of the offcourt atmosphere. Great post.

As stated before, you'll have a hard time convincing many on this board that SLU could win. I believe SLU plays well together, yes there's room for improvement as in most teams but I think people are really sleeping on SLU. It should be a really good game. I wish I could see it. Great insight.