NCAA 2006-07

slu72

Just wondering, because of all the specing going on about UB's future, if posters think next year is "The Year" for a dance invite . Now a lot can happen between now and then. Injuries, grades, etc...but assuming these factors don't play a role...are most thinking with the rapid development of IV, he ought to be one of the nation's top bigs next year, the progress of KL and TL, another year under the belt for LM, DP, and DB, hopefully a contribution by Obi, although wouldn't expect too much as the guy will not have played a real game for over two years, is talent enough to earn us an invite? This isn't meant to imply the spring class can't fill a few holes and make us better. Guess it's really do we have the core talent to finally break through with the above 6 players? I do...of course much can happen between now and then. By the way, I don't think UB should lose his job if we don't make it.

If we have everybody back, most importantly Ian, Tommie and Kevin, we will DEFINITELY have the talent to make a tournament run, especially now that we are playing in the A-10. I think we are going to have an easier go of putting win streaks together in this conference than we would of in C-USA. I don't know the ins and outs of every other team in terms of who are they are bringing in and who might be leaving etc, but I think it is reasonable that we could be looking at a 12-4/11-5 type conference season nex year. If we are below .500 or even two or three games above with that team, we will definitely need to revisit Brad's standing.

Like I said in an earlier post, Brad got Tommie, Ian, and Kevin, so I think he deserves a least a couple years to see if he can develop them into a team.

You answered my question that the core is there to make a run. These 3 make us legit, but not a lock. DB, DP, and LM have to develop as well. JJ's career pretty much appears over as a Billiken, of course, he's resurfaced on occassion. DM hopefully is the perimiter threat we all hope for. Obi????? big question mark. The only thing that scares me is depth. I think we'll have 7 guys with the talent to make it, but if one goes down for whatever reason, we're in trouble.

You know who I think could really put us over the top if he can get his head on straight? Danny Brown. It is my opinion that, from strictly a talent perspective, he has the stuff to be the third or fourth best player on this team. We have see the flashes. We need to see that much more consistently. If he can live up to his talent on a nightly basis I would hate to put a cap on where this team could go next year.

DP is another key. We saw him be aggressive and use his speed to create some havoc on Wed. He needs to keep that up.

LM seems to be getting in a groove and although he will never be an electric offensive player, he showed on Wed. that he definitely has some value.

On the downside, I am really not all that impressed with Mcguire (sp?) I think the Stemler kid from SWICC will be the better player next year should we land him.

First, I don't think we should pack his bags quite yet or even next year, but I think one thing to consider is Brad's contract. As I recall, when Cheryl first arrived, her first order of business was signing Brad to a multi-year contract. I think it was 5 years. Next year would be only the third year of that contract which would require the SLU administration to pay him off for the other 2. That is probably pretty close to a mil.

Tarheel

If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the

impersonators would be dead."

sludrew said, "On the downside, I am really not all that impressed with Mcguire (sp?) I think the Stemler kid from SWICC will be the better player next year should we land him."

what do you base that belief on. imo, other than a couple inches in height and two years age (which might long range pan out better for dustin) there is little difference between the two. plus, it seems to be a moot point as it wont be an either or thing. if stemler would sign it would be both.

also, you mentioned what danny brown could be. our billiken history is littered with players that didnt quite live up to what they could have been.

monroe douglas was about as athletic of a player that we ever had. he had a nice billiken career, but we all thought he was even better.

or how about big chill melvin? my gosh, that was artis gilmore on the doorstep.

what about corey fraizer. that kid was loaded with talent imo and just never quite got it. he ended up being a fantastic defender and role player, but i really thought he was the link that would keep it going after claggett and highmark and h.

what about baniak? or jason edwin? justin johnson? the list goes on and on. it is danny's job to see that he becomes all he can and stay off this list. no one is going to give him the minutes. especially when the roster is loaded with other good guards that want the time.

Roy, did I say anywhere in my post that Danny Brown should be "given" minutes? No. I said, I think he has a lot of talent and could be good if he had his head on straight. I am not saying he should be playing as things stand right now.

I am not going to back off what I said about Mcguire and not being too excited about him being a Billiken. I certainly hope I am proven wrong and want nothin but the best for the kid.

for the record, i agree. i have said from day one i dont get the maguire signing. i was just trying to frame your post with additional info and questions for discussion sakes. if stemler was the next jj redick, the list of suitors would be more formidable than it is now. and as to maguire, i can t wait to see maguire as a billiken for no other reason that try to rationalize the urgency to get his committ last spring. imo, he would have likely been available this may.

It always struck me as funny he was signed so early. Again, we've got to trust in UB all others pay cash. I'm getting a little concerned there is absolutely little or no buzz, except for Stemler, about the 3 open scholies.....If we go into next year with what we have plus DM, we can risk no one getting hurt.