Frustration

slu72

Can't recall this board ever heaping the tidal wave of criticism on UB that last night's game has prompted. Nark, SLUdrew, myself, and others cannot figure him out. From the starting lineup to the rotations to the game plan, or lack thereof, to keeping your best player out of the game none of it makes any sense. UB's explanation in the PD that "Richmond is better than we thought" is pure BS. Granted they are stingy on D, but they are also a team that has struggled to score 50 ppg. Also, SLU is in no position to take any opponent lightly. That said, last night's game was frustrating to listen to and am sure for those of you who watched, am assuming it was on TV, probably moreso. Let's give UB the benefit of the doubt with TL. Maybe he just wasn't paying attention to his assignments. No one can deny UB the right to sit him. UB is the boss and it's his livelihood and career on the line, not ours. But still there is an aspect of his coaching style that disturbs me. The quick hook. We've heard all the excuses; we're young, new league, no established pf, etc. But yet we've taken 4 ranked teams right down to the final minutes before games have been decided. Only to go out and get blown away by the likes of Mississipi and Richmond (yes, Virginia the UR game was a blowout). It's fair of fans to ask the question "why is that effort not there every game?" Teams will have their bad nights, it's why coaches stress good D, but not every other game. Face it, we were lucky to have the ST. B and Umass games at home. On the road, these could have easily gone the other way. Point being they should not have been that close. This team by their play against UNC, Iowa, Zaga, and GWU has shown the potential is there. It's just not being demonstrated on a consistent basis. Someone below posted the starting lineups for the best games we have played this year. It's proof that these guys give us the best shot at winning, yet last night we get a lineup right out of the Twilight Zone. I think right now, with the exception of AD, KL, and IV the rest of the team lacks self confidence. Take DB for example. Yes he's been up and down and sometimes careless with the ball, but the guy has demonstrated an ability that few others have this year...he can score. And score from where we need it most, the perimiter. He's got to be scratching his head going, "what the hell am I not doing?" The point in all this is UB is demonstrating he's not going to tolerate a mistake, again, "a mistake." One ill advised shot-bench, one missed defensive assignment-bench, one TO-bench. He does tolerate it from AD, KL, IV and to some degree TL, but for the others.... bench. Sorry, this is too harsh a management style. These are young kids/men that need to learn to play through their mistakes. Whats that nike ad? Fall seven get up eight. A little of this attitude might go a long way towards achieving the consistent effort we so desparately want to see. You can't play this game with one eye on the ball and one eye looking at a po'd coach reaching for your replacement after being on the floor for two minutes. I think it's time UB decide on a starting lineup and shorten the rotation to LM, BH, AD or KL(whoever isn't the starter). It's clear 14 games in we aren't getting much from VN and DP. They have to sit. In the case of DP, he's a Soph whose got time to work his way back in to the mix. VN, hey, how much more do we need to see that he's not helping the future of this program let alone helping us win games today. Frustrated fans, frustrated players, and most important a frustrated intolerant coach sure makes for long seasons.

Maybe the players aren't yet as good as we think. I am not exonerating UB ... but are we worse now than many thought we would be? ... or did we just raise our expectations after some good games against good opponents. So many people said we would struggle this year and be up and down due to youth, but now we are frustrated when it is true.

Lets take a look at the players

IV... Has played consistently good all year, especially considering he has so little help down low. IMO needs to get better position to receive the pass closer in.

TL... Has shown flashes of greatness and periods of being very average. Seems to be a little soft going to the basket and gets too many shots blocked. Very, very inconsistent from the perimiter. Incredibly athletic, great vision and has the ability to take over a game. If he would focus on stronger passes all the time IMO he should be our starting pg, that is also where his future seems to lie, but he needs players around him who can score.

KL ... everything you could want defensively. The prototypical college 2. Very good outside shot and willing to take it to the hole. IMO a little reluctant to shoot early in games but hell he's 16 games int a 120 game college career.

DP ... a good defender against smaller guys, good ball handler, but usually unwilling to penetrate and his complete lack of outside shot kills him.

DB ... a very good outside shooter who likes to use his athleticism to get to the hole, but so far can't finish even when he is at the rim. Seems unfocused at times and is prone to turning the ball over. Like KL he seems reluctant to shoot open looks early in games. IMO he is a one dimensional player at this point in his career. He has the ability to get to the rim, bu who cares if you miss easy layups when you get there.

I'm out of time ... anyone else

UB ... working to hard to get the ball inside. IMO working to get good open perimiter looks early and hitting them will help get the ball inside to Ian with some space. Right now even when we can get it into he is double and triple teamed.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

This is becoming very apparent. The whole team was giving their man open looks from three last night. Their big man, Steenburge (sp?) stepped out and hit multiple threes. Why not sit Ian? We know how Brad feels about being strong on defense. I agree with him. If you are strong on D then you can hang with teams that may have more talent. BUT if you are going to pull players for not blocking out or getting a hand in the shooter's face(JJ and TL seem to be the biggest targets of this) then you have to do it equally across the board.

I also agree with some of the players looking like deer in headlights on the floor. This is especially apparent in game sitautions where the pressure is on. These guys look like they are trying more not to fail then they are trying to succeed. They all play like if they make a mistake they are coming out, instead letting their basketball instincts take over.

Much of what I am talking about can be attributed to youth. Young players are assuredly more hesitant in clutch situations and may need some discipline to get them on board with Brad's philosophy. However, I think it is because they are young that they should be given a little more latitude in terms of learning the system on the floor. You don't learn anything sitting next to coach on the bench.

That said, last night's game was

>frustrating to listen to and am sure for those of you who

>watched, am assuming it was on TV, probably moreso.

I tivo'd the game last night and I am going to delete it because I don't think I could sit through that again