Brad on Sports Plus last night

SLUMS81

Brad was asked what he thought about Morrison's comments that the fans came out to see Gonzaga play. He said that he agrees with it, up to a point.

He has said in the past, and said it again last nite, that big time fan support will be a result of his players playing with passion and intensity. He had excellent comments about IV, and is more than pleased with TL and KL as well.

Here is a thought I have about Brad - I know he is trying to not overstate SLU at this time but am I the only who is getting a little weary of him not tooting the program's horn, continuing to talk about other programs being big time and not SLU, and always saying we want to be like some other program? I am sorry, when he is on the TV or radio, he needs to point out the positives of the program - how many people are going to want to come out to see SLU if he even hints at that people may only be interested in seeing good teams and not his, how does it play in a recruit's mind when he hears the coach saying we are not a big time program - if he does not think he is a big time program then who will? You can say what you want about Quinn but have you ever heard him on the radio or TV say that MU is not a big time program? - of course everybody knows the program is struggling but he is not going to let people even remotely think the program is small time. Why keep telling people who we want to be like how about telling them about our goals without mentioning other programs - stop giving them fodder to use against us: You do not want to go to SLU you want to come to IL - heck even SLU says they are not as good as us? Finally, when you are talking to the masses through the media then it is all about spin.

Brad says it like it is. "Right now we are not big time but I believe we can be big time." To a potential recruit, 'You can make us big time."

If Brad went out right now and said stuff like, "We already are big time, we are like Gonzaga, etc." he would be laughed at and discredited. He could go tell a recruit how big time we are but all that recruit needs to do is look at the record and the attendance and realize we aren't. You tell the recruit the truth but say with your help we will get back to the days when we averaged 14k and were going to the dance.

Keep it honest.

He does not have to lie - he just has to point out the positives rather than dwell on the other stuff. Like I said, he is talking to the uninformed masses. Recruits down the line start forming impressions now so give the good news stuff consistently and people will start believing it eventually. What you raise about the attendance is actually a positive. Our attendance is easily in the top 100 of D1 in fact I bet it is in the top 50, anybody got the data on this?. People have to quite comparing it to when Spoon was here - he was a celebrity, the team was good put those two combos together and you get higher attendance. If we get to drawing 14,000 consistently again then great but the vast majority of D1 schools do not even get close to that number.