The Running Game

VTIME

I thought we were going to get out and run this year. What has happened to that. When we turn the ball over other teams get layups, but we dont seem to convert many if any turnovers into fast break layups. We need some athletes and some shooters. I know you guys say we have enough guards, but we really dont. Can we attempt to press some one every once in a while?

You can't have a running game if you play a pack defense. A running game requires a committment on both sides of the ball. In order to have meaningful opportunities to run the ball, you must apply full or half court pressure throughout the game. Otherwise, the oppenent's guards will nearly always be able to beat you back on defense, thereby preventing a running game. I am not sure why Brad believes he can have it both ways.

> We played a slow-down offense, but so did Iowa. The

>difference is that Iowa made their shots and we could not.

>Iowa played very good defense, and generally took away our

>fast-break opportunities.

>

We havent run on anybody all season. Everyone else gets layups and dunks off our turnovers, but we arent converting anyone else's mistakes into those easy baskets and momentum plays. We need more athletes. Everyone gets tip dunks on us, but no one fears us crashing boards for ferocious put backs. We could use some shooters who could pull up on the break also. Running isnt just dunking and laying up, its taking shots before the defense is set.