Final Thought Before the Biggest Game of the Season

SLU_Nick

We really havent analyzed this game as much as I thought we should have. But I will start this thread as an expert as I am probably the only one in the SLU community who has played against Marcus Ginyard from NC and KL from SLU. (thats right critics, self appointed expert :)

I think the biggest Key to the game is IV on the defensive end. I have watched the Heels 3 times this season and they get most of their points in the paint and at the free throw line. This game can only really go two ways. Either it will be close till the end, or we get blown out by 25+.

If IV can play physical, block and change shots then that will limit NC's points in the paint. Also if IV gets into foul trouble Hansbrough will hit free throws on us all night. If the former happens, the heels will be forced to take their shots outside where it will be Drejaj, Polk and Lisch's job to actually get out there (faster than they have been) and get a hand up. I dont see this young NC team beating us like UW-Milwaukee, they will be cutting, slashing and dunking, not shooting. Husak will have to give us solid minutes in the middle as well. Brad cannot forget about his solid defense and not play him.

Also, IV's passing out of the double team will be huge as well. If he tries the "jump pass", which he has been getting away with against lesser competition, the ridiculously athletic NC guards will intercept it everytime and it will be off the races. He needs to make solid passes out of the double and limit that momentum changing turnover.

Play the pack like we did in 03-04 where no single player could successfully dribble through it. Getting NC to settle for jumpshots will be half the battle tonight.

Oh yeah, and another key...

We need Lisch and everyone else, to remember how to shoot the ball. But everyone has already said that. This is certainly a turning point in the season. COME ON BILLS! COME ON!

Nick

Nice analysis Nick. I think the Ian v. Hansborough matchup is huge. If they neutralize each other (which I would take in a heartbeat), does SLU have enough firepower with its remaining players to hang with UNC? Only if someone else--i.e., Tommy L. or Drejaj or Lisch has a big game. Really, I think we need two people not named Ian to have big games for us. Can't wait.

It's big because of the Nat. TV etc., but conference games are more important than any non conf. game (until tourney time), IMO. Maybe because of our new league our mindset isn't focused on beating those people, no real rivals established, etc. But wouldn't you agree the fate of your season lies largely in your league play, esp. in a league where you aren't guaranteed four or five slots in the dance?