slu2 temple1

It was cold, so I'm sure that cut down on the crowd. Temple scored 1st. The Bills scored on a penalty kick and the score was even at the half. I think Temple is 2-7, but they didn't play like it. Temple seemed to be more aggressive in the second half ---- until the lights went out, literally, at about the 17 minute mark (72+). The field lights were out for about 10 minutes. The scoreboard and the press box remained lighted. Finally, the lights came back on, the teams came back out, and, after some delay, the refs came out. I don't know what impact the lights had, but the Bills really started attacking and finally got the second goal.

Were they playing down to their competition? I don't know. I'll leave it to the soccer experts.

In answer to your question, it was a small crowd and it was very cold, at least compared to the last few days.

I do not have time to make a detailed post right now...but I will make a few quick points since it seems many were unable to attend.

Yes attendance was very poor. Yes it was cold...but not bad enough to affect play of the game. Cold for the season.

Danny Wynn miscast at left midfield and cannot play that side. He didn't start. He came in for ineffective Spiess. The adjustment was made however at half time to move Wynn to right back. Dan Guffey started at right back. He had what looked to be mild ankle sprain, iced. He was getting some time, but is average player, out of position. Vilmer, played poorly. As we have discussed in other games, much improved this year, has the DESPERATE size SLU needs in back, athleticism and toughness. His positioning and decision-making are poor. And it isn't just his constant long balls. Gasparovic is a solid player but lack of size and good but not great speed, a solid player, hoping he would be a bit better by now, but solid player. Benne is what you see what you get, imo SLU's most steady and able defender outside of Angus who didn't play. He is able to push forward and read the attack and gets the most out of his limited athleticism. If only some other players played as hard fri night. Sackman, again, average keeper. Hemzagic and Sweetin are SLU's most skilled players,and if they aren't active, SLU is in trouble, which explains part of Fri's struggles with a much inferior team. Patterson, active, finished very poorly several times. John D, as others have said, solid good player, but he isn't going to turn into a superstar. Would be very effective surrounded by better players as he was a few years ago...

SLU missed Wileman's tenacity fri night, but he is another grinder with limited finsihing ability.

SLU gave Temple way too much space defensively and SLU very easily could have lost the game, and would have to a better opponent. The desperation was not there for SLU, shockingly, given the season so far. Even Donigan has virtually admitted that his team doesn't play hard all of the time. When your team is not that talented,....and sorry folks, SLU isn't that talented...a solid team but not a top 25 team....you need to play with urgency, desperation, etc...

The inability to hold possession vs Temple was embarrassing. No intererior passing, and no control of the midfield. A very even game....with a disturbing amount of SLU long balls....and not even quality serves or close.

Those who missed Fri's game missed nothing. Temple scored a nice goal, but their BEST player was unmarked repeatedly...and layed a ball in space to a WIDE open player on right back side, nice left foot low far post....a good shot, an elite goalie may have saved it...but the problem with the goal was terrible defensive positioning Vilmer, Guffey....Temple had too many chances for a team of their caliber.

SLU just doesn't have the talent of a few years ago. They have lost too many players who played one or two seasons, and have not effectively replaced them elite players. Sweetin and the Brits can play right away. That is it. Too many "reaches" out there.

SLU still has the ability to win a subpar conference and conference tourney...get in the NCAA and pull an upset or two...but they very easily could lose a few cofnerence games, or in the conference tourney and not make it...and I am surprised that ....is even possible.

If this were Tulsa, they would have lost...or frankly any other decent team. period.

Take the win...but they are playing with fire if they do not raise their level of urgency for a full 90 minutes. At least Donigan admitted they haven't come to play sometimes this year...and doesn't hide it or dance around it...but that stuff has got to stop to save their season.

I usually find the silver lining and try to be positive and still am...for this one night, the effort, execution and strategy were poor. What concerns me most is the STRATEGY. You can improve the other two.

Courtside, that is what I have been saying. We are trying to play a style of game that doesn't fit our talent. I am curious to know if that is coaching or if DD just can't get the kids out of that mode. I think the long balls are due to their lack of confidence to connect strings of short passes and maintain possession. With the talent level on the team they will always have to out hustle the opponent to maintain possession. When they do ... they are pretty good (see 2nd half Duke) ... when they don't they are an average team. They are reasonably quick, but with the exception of Danny, no real speed. They need to maintain possession an look for the short through balls utlizing their quickness as the defender would have to turn and chase. Long balls give the defender too much time to recover and out run them ... which they always seem to do.

If we are not going to use Danny on defense and keep playing the ball long ... put him up top and at least utilize the one speedster we have.

I can't go tomorrow ... but I will be there before Billiken Madness on Friday.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

It isn't just that playing long balls constantly doesn't fit the talent...that style of play only works in the EPL on occasion. Obviously SLU lacks confidence in short interior passing and possession often.

I would be willing to bet SLU will have another game in conference to a lesser opponent and get caught not showing up. It has occurred too often already this year to think otherwise. They don't have a difference maker in goal, or really anywhere on the field...one of those even games where they won't get the bounces. Sure Temple was better organized than they thought they'd be...and played hard...welcome to D-I soccer....they need to wake up and step. They have a gift opportunity to steam roll their conference. GW is decent.

They simply lack talent and need to play hard and desperate for 90 minutes every game, and they could salvage their season to some extent.