Speaking of soccer...

courtside

A good start for your 05 Billikens Mens team with a 1-0 win over top ten Creighton last night at Creighton in an exhibition match. The game was shown on the internet thanks to Creighton. I was unable to see the game so hopefully someone who did can post. Statistically it was even. SLU played a lot of guys, and were missing a handful of veteran quality starters, making the result more impressive.

Of course the Creighton website insisted Creighton "dominated" the game. I would like an unboased view from this forum. In other action IU and UCLA tied at 1-1..no O.T.'s were played..and by all accounts IU dominated. Maryland beat UConn 1-0 and SMU surprised by a fired up Akron at Akron 2-0.

Ok so I saw the first half of the preeason game. First of all, while I like the streaming video - it was top notch - the camera angles absolutely sucked. If you are going to film a soccer game, you should keep 99% of the view from the pressbox from high above. The camera angle kept switching to various ground level views and it totally screwed up a person's perception of what was happenning. I don't mind seeing closeups on replays but not during the middle of the flow of the game. Second, CU had better build up in teh offenseive third that led to more chances in the first half. SLU looked about a step away from giving up a goal on a couple of CU's chances. Third, SLU did get down the field easily though once they got control of the ball but seemed to struggle to get a quality shot on goal. That's all I got. Didn't see the second half.

Starters from the back: Disbennet, Gaspo, Vilmer, Benne, Wynn, Spiess, Sweetin, Rooney, Geraghty, Dado, Johnny D. It was hard to tell how the middle was contstructed but I believe Rooney was playing D mid while Sweetin and Geraghty played attacking mids. Hard to tell with the camera angles.

Brian McBride is seeing a lot of time this year so far for Fulham in the English Premier League. This is good news for him but his team looks like it may struggle.

I caught his goal on a highlights show this weekend. It was crafty (a cross across the box where McBride was completely blanketed, but he managed to get a little touch on the ball to get it past fellow US international Brad Friedel of Blackburn and into the corner). I got a big impression from the fact that the defender had been grabbing McBride's jersey so mercilessly that he tore it--I am not sure if that is just dirty play but you can see some measure of respect in that as well.

Brian saw a lot of time last year as well...His goal last week(disallowed due to offsides) was terrific one time header top left corner. His team is going to be lower half of EPL, not his fault. Reyna looked okay the previous weekend as well, much more fit than I have seen him. McBride incidentally was instrumental in bringing his Fulham squad over to play the MLS all-stars.

I was hanging out with Greathouse and Vilmer last weekend when they got back from Omaha (home of rock/rap band 311, of course BROY already knew that) and they said that the field-turf/turface or whatever it was sucked, and that Warming brought these punks from Amsterdam to install the playing surface. Dave said that everybody looked well and that it's promising to see guys get some experience against a team who have been a MVC powerhouse since the time of Christ.