The streets are way too quiet

ACE

cu said, "kids in st louis might know bonner - but doubt he has that name recognition anywhere else."

consider this scenario....

a up and coming high schooler about 6'9" comes to town for his visit. he thinks he is it. hell all the recruiting sites have told him he is the next karl malone. after a few meetings and nice lunch, he goes over to west pine to play a little pickup. (this is an official visit so i believe that means the coaches can be in the gym with him. billiken law can check me on this if wrong) on the opposite team is old man bonner. who is still built like a greek god of sorts. still the kid thinks so what just some old guy.

first pass into the recruit, bonner is there leaning on him. the kid spins to the basket for his patented move and goes up for his usual two hand slam. however, unlike the high schoolers that are normally there, bonner is there and he knocks the ball in his face and the kid to the floor. they quickly go to the other end and the positions are reversed. bonner takes an alley opp and slams it home.

during a timeout, the kid asks one of the billikens who he is. they tell him asst coach bonner who used to play for the knicks and the suns. and led the nation in rebounding his senior year in college. then coach soderberg tells the kid that coach bonner will personally help him develop when he comes to slu.

i suspect that will quickly change the kid's mind about not knowing or caring who bonner is.

I didn't realize you were talking about a summer season. That's interesting to hear. If Anthony Bonner is going to continue playing professionally, even after taking this past season off, it means either that he's not ready to give up playing for coaching or that he still wants to make (relatively) big money (which he wouldn't get as an entry-level coach).

Or perhaps the offers termporarily dried up back in the fall but someone decided to re-up some dough for him, and he recanted on his desire to get into coaching, for the time being.