jarod leonard update

coachstyles

jarods first game at desmet was decent he started but didnt play as well as i thought he would. he looked very athletic but he didnt shoot that much. he looked like he was taking the passing role in the game. maybe leonard isnt as good as everyone was hyping him up to be.... only time will tell

isnt he only a sophomore? most sophomores dont even get to dress for varsity action at large schools let alone start and star. the fact his coach has him in the lineup shows a lot imo.

As a DeSmet grad who has seen his share of DeSmet basketball, let me say that the system centers around team play, so don't get discouraged if Leonard doesn't put up gaudy numbers. From what I've heard, he has a chance to be a very good player at DeSmet for the next few years.

Also, sophomores don't get significant playing time at DeSmet unless they are really good. To give you an idea, Blake Ahearn, now at SMS, came off the bench as a soph and put up quality but not spectacular numbers. The next year as a junior he averaged over 15 ppg.

I was at the game also. Jarrod's offense consisted of driving to his right and finishing at the rim, which he did successfully even in traffic. Needs to work on his left hand and stop pushing off. I like his energy level.

Desmet had a distinct size and skill advantage inside with David Ward so there wasn't really any need to for the guards to look for their offense. Ward was basically catching the ball, turning and laying it in against the dimunitive Riverview squad.