Danny Brown compared to Tommie Liddell

bauman

Can those of you who have seen TL on a number of occasions give a comparison to Danny Brown. I have really been impressed with DB as the season has gone on. He is very athletic, a better than average shooter and an excellent defender. I have not seen enough of him to say anything about his passing ability. At the end of his FR year he seems to be a real find who is good for about 10 pts. per game. If TL is as good or better then I really like our team next year.

they are nothing alike imo. brown is extemely strong physically compared to liddell (however jalensdad has told us that liddell has gotten considerably stronger at hargrave). brown is a better shooter than what i remember liddell being in high school. brown has also shown to be a better defender imo. but i have always beleived that defense is an attitude not a skill. you want to be a defender you can be a good defender. of course couple that with outstanding athleticism, that is just gravy!

but liddell is far better with the ball both dribbling and passing. and i believe liddell to be a better leaper as well and will successfully get to the basket more consistently.

if you are asking me to pick one. i believe that liddell would be the best player on this team right now and next year as well.

TL has that special "spatial" ability to see what's developing, and putting the pass on the mark where the guy's going to be...if he completes his cutting pattern. I think both share exceptional athleticism, but Tommy gets a big nod in the passing game. Danny may turn out to be a better scorer. I don't know that Tommie will develop a great 3 stroke, but Danny shows potential there. When I first saw Danny in practice, I noted that he liked to dribble into trouble, and often suffered because of it. I thought he needed a redshirt year to absorb the different level. I've revised that thought - I now suspect he's always taken it strong to the hoop, and has already figured out a lot of what doesn't work - and has stopped it. I am a big admirer of his game, and am expecting more next year.

Roy, in your opinion, is Liddell better than Lisch or just a different type of player. I know they actually ARE different types of players, but can they be compared? My perception of Lisch from hearing you and my sons talk about him is that he is really a special player in just about every regard even if he isn't super extraordinary in one specific area. What are your thoughts....?

I see these two guys as very complimentary to each other. TL is enhanced by having another shooter, finisher on the floor. If D. Brown continues to makes improvements in these areas as we have seen during this season (and not regress like A. Drejaj between freshman and sophmore years), then I am really excited to see both TL and DB on the floor together next season. Man, what matchup problems that will present to an opposing team.

of course we havent seen liddell for 12 months, so we dont know what he learned at prep school, but 12 months ago, kevin was far more polished of a player and a better shooter, and a better defender. but liddell just has natural ability galore. liddell might be larry hughes in the rough.

i dont think i really answered your question. but i guess if put on the spot, i would have told you last year at this time, lisch is the better player that second. but if i had to pick the one more likely to end up on the golden state warriors roster, it would be lidell.