Roy...thought you'd be interested in this one....

courtside

January 28, 2005, 11:49 PM CST

CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Joe Ballard got the shot he wanted with No. 4 Westinghouse's 14-game winning streak on the line Friday night at a sold-out Carbondale High School gym.

He'll remember it forever.

The senior guard made some space about a step and a half beyond the top of the key on the Warriors' final possession but missed the potential game-tying three-pointer with two seconds left and watched the Terriers celebrate a 72-69 victory that had Westinghouse coach Quitman Dillard pledging revenge.

Dillard said his team would prove it is the better squad when it counted—in March.

"If we do what we need to do, we'll see them again in March," Dillard said. "Because as the brackets have it, that's who we'll be playing. And it'll be a different story in March."

"I had a great look at the basket," Ballard said. "It just didn't fall for me. It was one of those shots that I was either going to hit or miss it, and I've got to live with it."

Westinghouse (18-3) trailed the entire fourth quarter but got within one after 6-foot-8-inch senior DeAndre Thomas scored on a putback with :25 left. Carbondale's Steven Haynes was fouled with :17.5 to play and sank both free throws to give the Terriers (17-2), ranked seventh in the state by the Associated Press, the final margin.

Thomas scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds to help Westinghouse rally from a 19-8 deficit in the second quarter. The Warriors forced 17 turnovers, scoring three baskets in the final 1:14 of the half to earn a 33-32 lead at the break.

Carbondale went up to stay on Phillip Fayne's basket in transition with 5:51 to go in the third.

i've been telling everyone that carbondale is the best team in the area since the shootout. to be honest, i didnt expect them to win vs westinghouse.

wow. i'd love to see them vs vashon to shut the vashon lovers up.

V&P Arts is in the PHL so Vashon has to play them. In the nonconference, Vashon plays in two out of town tournaments versus very good competition, plays East St. Louis every year in the MLK classic (who normally is as good or better than Carbondale the last 5 years), plays in the Normandy tournament every year (where they face a Ritter team who has won a state championship and 90% of their games the last 4 years), plays a Chicago team every year and plays a KC power every year. I know you were you just kidding -- this is more for Roy's benefit.

their best player, emanuel cass, a 6'8" pf is a junior. but the rest of the their key players are rocket like extremely athletic and good shooting guards that are seniors. josh tabb is siu's top recruit for next year and is/was good enough to be rated top 100 at one time by a lot of services. i havent checked lately, but since he signed with siu, i assume the national recruiters have now lowered his ranking.

the last 5 years, i do not consider the final product of carbondale an equal to east st louis. carbondale is a lot better. however had we switched head coaches, i do agree east st louis would have been as good if not better. dennis brooks has succeeded in underachieving the flyers his entire tenure at eastside. he is not a favorite coach of mine.

Carbondale's record has something to do with the fact that they play a much tougher conference schedule in teh South 7 having to play Althoff, Centralia, Cahokia, Mt Vernon, and Marion than East Side does. Also, last season Carbondale beat East Side in the post season while having a worse regular season record so I guess you can throw the record theory out the window.

Future Billikes.com sponsor of Kevin Lisch