Practice/Scrimmage

Attended practice this aft. Recognized everyone except a walkon by the name of Wendell...didn't get the last name. Major league body, but I couldn't tell how tall he was because I was upstairs; maybe 6'4" or so, give or take. Sat next to Washington High's varsity coach, who was invited by Lance.

Scrimmage, according to him, is scheduled Sat. 10 am. I can't make it, but now one of you should and report back. Here are my assessments, based on the one practice...

One of the student managers came up and gave us a practice program, divided into 15 minute segments. UB didn't adhere to it exactly, but close enough. One of the early drills was beating the press, with 6 defenders. They couldn't stop Fish. He has the sculpted body, weight, and handling skills to beat most presses. They also had a dribbling segment around 5 defenders - Fish was the best. We're OK there, I think.

Bryce - has to redshirt, unless there's an injury. He has a great frame, good hands, and hand-eye quickness, but Frericks just mauls him on the block. This is a great recruit, and with some body building and development, he could be a great asset in our future, but it was clear that he couldn't bang with the wide bodies...but with his frame, he could be a wide body next year.

Frericks - he wants the ball, and gets angry when he can't finish. He failed to on several occasions, and slammed the ball, cursed, etc. I wonder if his anger affects his game. He is very intense going to the boards at both ends, and UB actually told him to cool it a little or he would find himself on the bench with fouls. He is a bull in the middle; Zorba cannot bang with him, for the moment.

It's official - Izik is a 3. He looks very aggressive offensively; still laid back defensively, as the Wash. HS coach observed.

The 4s are Sloan, JJ, and Varner. I am happy to report that Varner looked very good, including his ability to step up and make the open shot without any hesitation. Good hustle. JJ impressed me with his offensive skills, but, and UB called him out on this, he watches the ball too much on defense, and Sloan was able to backdoor him at will. This is mental, but the physical talent is there...which brings me to the...

Prepractice peptalk by UB wherein he espoused the Bobby Knight and ##### Bennett philosphy that the mental is 4 to the physical's 1. Playing smart allows you to beat better talent...that doesn't play smart. Of course, we all knew that, right?

Drejah is such a load - it's a pleasure to watch him, always. He wins every windsprint. It's a toss-up to who gets the Charley Hustle award - D or Sloan.

Sloan - stronger AND more confident.

Hunt - now a scholly player, but the same player - confident, but has that small body.

Zorba...seemed a little passive, but the potential is there; hard to bang agains Frericks.

I have a dinner engagement, so I have to go, but I'll check tomorrow for the scrimmage reports, and add my 2 cents if any bells are rung...

Practice is open to the public now?

If so I will be there tomorrow at 10.

Good to see Frericks with alot of intensity. I like that especially in a post guy, it helps in doing the dirty and can mes with weak guys heads. We haven't a real tough big man since when?????? After watching Braun, Baniak who were disgraces inside, and Heinrich and Brown who were good but appeared passive on the court. We need guys who show their intensity on the court, Frericks can join Drejaj and Sloan in that department.

My understanding is that practice was closed for the first week, so today was after that week, and I just showed up - no problem. To complete my synopsis, Reggie looked very good - has the outside shot, and is very clever on his drives - he has the hops to go underneath on his drives, and then pop back for the "impossible angle" layup. Darren Clarke looked a little lost - doesn't know where he fits in yet, but either he or Hunt will get the minutes. By far, the most aggressive in attacking the basket are Izik and Drejaj. Izik sprained his ankle the last few minutes of practice - I hope it's just something minor, but he took himself out of the scrimmage, and was limping. Both teams looked a little lost on offense in the scrimmage - maybe tomorrow will tell a better tale, but if UB tries to equalize the teams, it won't be pretty.

hey whats up,

can we get more details from all you people who have been at practices this season. Hoes izik playing? better than last year?

how's sloan better? fish, drejaj, bryant, fredricks, these are the core players they have a good season we go to the NCAAs !!!!!!!!!!

somebody please fill me in on these guys one at a time. i expect bigger and better things out of this group.

Welcome to the board Baller.

I don't know if you can access past threads on the new board ... but if so there has been a lot of discussion on these guys. I give you a brief synopsis on what I know ... which is from the other members posts as I have not seen them this summer or fall.

IO ... Appears to be stronger and have a better understanding of the American game allowing him to finish better. He should be a huge matchup problem for any opponent as he is too tall for most 3's, and too quick for most 4's to defend.

CS ... seems to be stronger and more confident with the ball and his shot. He should be a team leader and set the tone for agressive play.

RB ... should lead the team in scoring. An outstanding perimeter shooter who can also get to the basket.

JF ... I have heard nothing but good things about him. he will be the starting pg and should be steady and consistent. his defense is his strong point as he can absolutely shut people down. If his shot has gotten more consistent expect very good things from Josh.

TF ... read the initial post.

AD ... should be the same player ...a tough, hustler, hopefully his outside shot has continued to improve ... if so he will be hard to keep off the floor.

I'm sure others will add more and give a more detailed account ... but for now that is what I know.

Are you a Billiken Club member ... if so they have a practice(open house) event going on Thursday the 30th. If not ... why not? Call Margo at 314-977-8180. It is not expensive to become a member ... and you do get a few extra perks.

whats up everyone, i just can't wait for the season to start!!!!!

can anyone please tell me who has been dominating practice. drills, sprints, scrimmages, shooting, finishing at the basket, playing defense. can ne one break it down for me please. thank you and watch out cause the billikens are gonna be dangerous this year !!!!!!!!!!!!