recruiting

For those of you who've been discussing Brad's recruiting efforts, here is one more guy to consider. Lorenzo Gordon. I remember Romar giving him a look several years ago but the feeling at the time was that he didn't have the grades and was probably not big enough to play power forward. Does anyone know why Brad wasn't after him during JUCO? Sounds like he's having quite a season at Illinois State. I'm guessing grades played a role in us not recruiting him, otherwise there is no excuse.

Our talent level is pretty pitiful right now and it doesn't sound like the inside game will be getting any better next year.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...surgence+in+MVC

it is my guess that he doesnt have the needed classes to be on course to fit into an existing slu major. if he does, i totally agree that it is now apparent that he would have been a nice addition to the team.

i have heard and bought brad's needed "size" pitch about our inside game. however the fact is, that for all practical purposes, sloan was our best inside player for the most recent years. spoon thrived on mid sized height. gordon is a great example. and my favorite inside tandem in conference usa is maxiell and hicks at cincy who both are lucky if over 6'5" (of course both are built like ray lewis though as well). it was pretty obvious tuesday night imo that matt shaw would have looked good in billiken blue as well. another player that brad didnt go after soon enough and let siu get too deep with.

SLU has been good when SLU has kept the local players at home. This has been proven time and time again. In the Rich Grawer years, SLU had Anthony Bonner, Monroe Douglass, and Roland Gray. In the Charlie Spoonhour years, SLU had Erwin Claggett and Scott Highmark (both Grawer recruits), followed by Larry Hughes. With Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell on the way next year, there has to be hope.

Re Coach Soderberg's apparent penchant for size at the bigs, Spoon took a team to the NCAA with David Robinson as the de facto Center at 6'6". Jeff Harris, listed at 6'5" was one of SLU's best inside players. Donnie Dobbs played on an NCAA team and was 6'3". Maybe the Coach just needs to consult SLU basketball history in his recruiting.

Gordon was in Brad's sights but the curriculum at Mineral Area is not conducive to getting into SLU. Gordon was not interested in doing the work necessary to get into SLU, ie not taking PE classes or taking extra to amke up for it. He also had a real desire to play in the Mo Valley.

Lorenzo Gordon has been a very, very pleasant surprise for the Redbirds. I don't know why the Billikens did not pursue him, but I imagine it was concern over his acedemics. I imagine that the Birds had some of the same concerns. He was recruited very late in the Spring in response to an ISU player transferring unexpectedly. Had that player not transferred well after the season ended last year, Lorenzo would not be a Redbird. Funny how things work out.