Kevin Slaten Rips Soderberg Again

aj_arete

I second that idea,I do not believe that we should even think of copletely changing our defense, but as you say, when you play teams with back courts that are weaker your own you should try to take advantage of it by springing a little unexpected pressure periodically down the court, which hopefully will result in turnovers and easy transition baskets.(if we can make the layups that is)

billikan, you are the typical listener that makes slaten famous. the one that takes what he says serious and plays right into his hands. i consider him total entertainment more on the level of monty python or saturday nite live.

I agree he is "total"--he is a total embarrassment. I heard him rip SLU long before soderberg arrived. I have seen him physically threaten people in bars. I heard him demean and make fun of decent people who really have tried to help the community. He has no "redeeming social value". He is just a jerk with a big ego and no talent.

but pressing and attacking defenses start to lose their effectiveness later in the season when coaches have smoothed out the kinks in their offenses. Prime example is Soderberg.

Maybe with the additions of Lisch and Liddell next year, we will have the quickness and athleticism to be more an attacking defense. However, I just don't think this year's edition fits that bill.

3 years still isn't a long time for a coach, unless he isn't showing any signs of improvement. Soderberg has landed Polk's class, and Lisch so far for next year...making progress on recruiting, which he needed.

My concern with SLU hoops is the same one I have always had with Soderberg. Will his teams score points? The margin for error when you don't is so small...as has been seen. He is making recruiting progress. I didn't expect much this year, NIT team. I personally don't mind any media or public pressure on Soderberg. Why not? I would be MORE concerned if there wasn't anyone out there crabby about losing to Austin Peay, Oral Roberts etc....and doing it in such an unattractive fashion. Having an attractive product cannot be underestimated either. As long as the team starts its offense without wasting the first 10-15 seconds on the shot clock, I can live with some of the other things.

As for Slaten...I must say he was well behaved seated next to us at game 4 of WS this year. Gasp, I agree with Roy, he is doing his stir the pot job. STL media and talk radio is so pillow soft....at least somebody out there will criticize something. Now, I think Slaten is underinformed before he spouts most of his thoughts.....but yes I agree with Skip, he has mellowed considerably these days.

actually courtside, i cant remember the last time i STRONGLY disagreed with something you said. IMO, we have been closer in thinking since our old marquette battle days over a year and a half ago. and i eagerly read your posts these days. well, at least the ones that arent about soccer anyway.

Well Roy...we'll have to come up with something anyway. That Marquette discusion really consisted of two things: my belief that Dwyane Wade was the conference's best player one of country's best, and that Rob Jackson was a first teamer conference quality player. Though I am wrong about different things all of the time, I did pretty well in those...Wade a consistent long jumper away from being in anyone's argument in the NBA's best player discussion. I think you came around in that elite 8 national triple double game over Kentucky. And we debated the Jackson kid, you thought he was a stiff. Never underestimate a skillful big man. Maybe not the most athletic, but I'd take his 16 pts 8 boards a game ...back to basket game...for SLU right now. Marquette could have used him last year and this year...as like Louisville they are a donut in the middle team. U of L has potential in Myles return and the new kid, but we will see. Back to the basket low post offensive players are hard to come by in C-USA this year.