Jump to content
Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
bauman

Review of the Top 144 vs. year end NET

Recommended Posts

What else is there to do for a diehard Billiken fan on non-Selection Sunday?  It hit me that we had been ranked as # 143 by the Top 144 website so I decided to see how their pre-season 2019-20 rankings did.

Of course some of their top 15 were pretty much no brainers and wound up in the final NET top 25 such as Kansas/Duke/Nova/Mich St/Gonzaga.  But they were pretty far off on a few of their top 15 picks.  The following are shown with the first # the top 144 ranking and the second # the final NET #.  KY 2/21; UNC 5/80; UVA 7/44; FLA 10/29; Memphis 15/59.

Of course they were way off with a few of the A-10 teams like us.  SLU 143/49;  Dayton 51/3 and Richmond Not in top 144/38.

The Top 144 guys, in general, seem to over-rate the Power 5/6 schools while under rating the other conferences.  If they don't have SLU in the top 50 next year then they will lose a lot of credibility with this poster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bauman said:

What else is there to do for a diehard Billiken fan on non-Selection Sunday?  It hit me that we had been ranked as # 143 by the Top 144 website so I decided to see how their pre-season 2019-20 rankings did.

Of course some of their top 15 were pretty much no brainers and wound up in the final NET top 25 such as Kansas/Duke/Nova/Mich St/Gonzaga.  But they were pretty far off on a few of their top 15 picks.  The following are shown with the first # the top 144 ranking and the second # the final NET #.  KY 2/21; UNC 5/80; UVA 7/44; FLA 10/29; Memphis 15/59.

Of course they were way off with a few of the A-10 teams like us.  SLU 143/49;  Dayton 51/3 and Richmond Not in top 144/38.

The Top 144 guys, in general, seem to over-rate the Power 5/6 schools while under rating the other conferences.  If they don't have SLU in the top 50 next year then they will lose a lot of credibility with this poster.

If they don't have SLU in next year's Top 144, it's because a winless P5 team needs a spot and we can't leave anyone out with a football team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

If they don't have SLU in next year's Top 144, it's because a winless P5 team needs a spot and we can't leave anyone out with a football team. 

Top 2 team in the A10 going into the season is a lock for top 50 preseason ranking.  That would be Richmond and us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Top 2 team in the A10 going into the season is a lock for top 50 preseason ranking.  That would be Richmond and us.

3 star, you should be right, but we'll see if those guys realize how good we might be next year.

With SD St, the 3 Thanksgiving tournament opponents, BC and K-St (those last two uncertain from all I have read) we have the possibility of pulling off a "Dayton 2019-20" rise up the rankings.  I also think it's possible that we pick up a few Q 1 games in a strong A 10 Conference schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bauman said:

3 star, you should be right, but we'll see if those guys realize how good we might be next year.

With SD St, the 3 Thanksgiving tournament opponents, BC and K-St (those last two uncertain from all I have read) we have the possibility of pulling off a "Dayton 2019-20" rise up the rankings.  I also think it's possible that we pick up a few Q 1 games in a strong A 10 Conference schedule.

The first rule of preseason ranking is to look at last year's final ranking and see who's returning.  Our final NET ranking was 49 and we return practically everybody.  Not only are we a lock for top 50, we're likely a consensus top 35. The team profile virtually writes itself: Mention the Double-Double twins, the highest scoring 6th man in basketball and the best passing sophomore in basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...