Hasahn French Needs Less Work

Taj79

So what do the French lines say?  Glad you asked.  Minutes are essentially the same.  He attempted more FG's per game this year than last but made the same amount.  That lowers his FG% about 5%.  He actually attempted nine fewer free throws this year as opposed to last. but shot essentially the same percentage 34.7% this year to 36.4% last year.  His rebounds were up, but everything else, including average, stayed almost exactly the same.  Sophomore slump?  Hardly.  Incremental improvement?  Hardly.  Same-old-same-old?  Yep.

I guess one could argue it was an improvement in that he finished the same this year after starting really slow due to the Gordon inclusion.  But this is our second star heading forward and he needs work also.  The free throw shooting is obvious.  The FG% is also in need of a reversal trend.  Just about everyone knows he is going to take it to the rack and employ a spin move somewhere along the line.  Develop an 8 - to 10-foot jumper.  He has less to improve on that Goodwin because he is parked on the low blocks for offense.  He's a finisher, not an initiator and therefore his role is different and his stats are different.  His defense is impeccable but he has to know when to go for the block and when to concentrate rather on his man and box out his man.  It's a tough choice, I know.  .  His rebounding can only go up.  His ballhandling improved and that was good also.  But this guy is the offensive line; Goodwin is the QB.  Different strokes for different folks.

Captain Obvious agrees on his FT shooting. Until he does get it to 60% he's gonna be a marked man at the end of games when there are fouls to give. The team will probably be told not to get him the ball unless he finds himself all alone in the arena. So on offense you're basically playing w/4 players. 

I'd to see him develop a 10-15 step back jumper. Just don't know if that's in his plans. He seems content to rely on his ability to bully his way to the hoop or get himself in position for put backs. 

He could be the biggest beneficiary of Yuri at PG, however. Yuri's videos show him to be a pretty slick distributor of the rock which could set French up for more open looks. Still, if he could step back 10 ft w/ a consistent jumper that would be a major upgrade to his game.  I don't believe I've ever seen him even take a jump shot, though, let alone make one. I could be wrong. 

I could be wrong, but I feel like he is being double teamed much more than last year so perhaps his number are a little bit more impressive because he's doing it all while double teamed.

Preaching to the choir here but man if he could just hit a higher percentage of his free throws, that could be HUGE for his overall game. 

1 hour ago, Billnation08 said:

I could be wrong, but I feel like he is being double teamed much more than last year so perhaps his number are a little bit more impressive because he's doing it all while double teamed.

Preaching to the choir here but man if he could just hit a higher percentage of his free throws, that could be HUGE for his overall game. 

You have watched game tape to make your conclusions.  Ford stated Monday that French receives more double teams than any other player in the A10.  How does he know?  I'm not sure but I'll take his word. He watches more game tape than all of us combined.  When you are double teamed, that means two guys are trying to stop your shot.  Not too difficult.  Does that impact FG%?  I'm not sure why it wouldn't.  French has improved dramatically with his passing out of the double team.  Earlier in the season, he didn't attempt to find the open shooter.  Now, when the team moves as they should, he finds the open teammate.  [Too many times his teammates are caught watching rather than moving.]

French's decision making in the post is just fine.  There is more to his defense than just blocking shots.  Intimidation is a big factor.  How many shots does he alter?  How many times does a driver pass out of the lane in fear of a French Rejection.  You don't find those on the stat sheets.

Mr French will finish close to a double double average this year.  That's pretty darn good.