Leading rebounder under 5 RPG.

hsmith19

Looking at the numbers in the record book and on Sports-Reference, it looks like there has not been a SLU team without a single player over 5 RPG since the rebounding statistic was kept. Yarbrough will need 10 tomorrow to get his average up to an even 5. He's only had one game all year with 10+. Yacoubou would need 14. He hasn't done that all year, but he does have two games in double digits. So a shot at chasing some more history...

Do you know how the team rebounding numbers compare?

This year's team is averaging 30.4 rebounds a game. The only SLU teams going back to '66-'67 with a lower average than that are '02-'03 (30.3) and '92-'93 (30.0). The '02-'03 team allowed opponents a much lower FG% than the others, so it's probably safe to say they were the worst rebounding team ever. But this year's team has probably gotten a lot more deadball team rebounds on shots blocked out of bounds.

In terms of national rankings, the '07-'08 and '10-'11 teams were also around 300th in the nation. This year's team is 308th.

There was quite a bit of talk about Crews recruiting taller guys at all positions than Majerus did, and there was reason to think that might make rebounding less of a weakness for his teams. But all the 6'4" guards and tall, skinny centers did not add up to any rebounding improvement at all.

There was quite a bit of talk about Crews recruiting taller guys at all positions than Majerus did, and there was reason to think that might make rebounding less of a weakness for his teams. But all the 6'4" guards and tall, skinny centers did not add up to any rebounding improvement at all.

You didn't play your 3 biggest guys. I am not talking about guards. Majerus and its no secret is no longer there.

The biggest guys weren't rebounders even when they did play. Yacoubou and Yarbrough were much better rebounders than Manning/Gillmann/Jolly/Lancona. You could make the case that Agbeko should have played more, but he was coming off injuries and did not play very well early in the year.

The biggest guys weren't rebounders even when they did play. Yacoubou and Yarbrough were much better rebounders than Manning/Gillmann/Jolly/Lancona. You could make the case that Agbeko should have played more, but he was coming off injuries and did not play very well early in the year.

With there record you can make any case you want. And if your not playing them how the hell you know what they would have averaged. Guy 6'11" he could get 5 rebounds in 25 mins a game on accident.

Manning has been around four years. He can't rebound. Gillmann, Jolly, and Lancona all played enough this year that I'm confident saying they are not very good rebounders, in spite of their height. You really think those three should have played more? And that team rebounding would've been better if they had taken minutes from the three guys who actually did rebound?

Manning has been around four years. He can't rebound. Gillmann, Jolly, and Lancona all played enough this year that I'm confident saying they are not very good rebounders, in spite of their height. You really think those three should have played more? And that team rebounding would've been better if they had taken minutes from the three guys who actually did rebound?

You see the average? Did you read the topic of the post? And You bet rebounding would have been alot better. You cant teach north of 6'5". I.U. had a 7 foot skinny white kid(Not very good) go up against Shack and lsu. If I remember right. These kids where recruited for height if they could get playing time on this team cut them!!!

You see the average? Did you read the topic of the post? And You bet rebounding would have been alot better. You cant teach north of 6'5". I.U. had a 7 foot skinny white kid(Not very good) go up against Shack and lsu. If I remember right. These kids where recruited for height if they could get playing time on this team cut them!!!

I started the thread, so yeah, I read the topic. Per 40 minutes, here are the rebounding averages for the "four biggest guys" on the team:

Manning 5.3

Gillmann 5.4

Jolly 3.2

Lancona 4.3

Compare that to the smaller guys you evidently wish they had taken minutes from:

Yarbrough 8.1

Yacoubou 7.3

Roby 4.5

Agbeko was the best rebounder on the team and is also shorter than the four guys on the first list. Miles Reynolds at 6'2" averaged more rebounds on a per minute basis than Jolly at 6'9" and Lancona at 6'8", and was comparable to Gillmann at 6'10" and Manning at 6'11". That should be proof right there that there is more to rebounding than height. Not every tall guy is a rebounding wiz, and we seem to be good at collecting tall guys who are very rebounding challenged.

Reggie should have played more. Actually he should have played a whole lot more.

By the end of the year he did play a lot more, and the overall results weren't much better. I agree it would've made us suck less at rebounding if he had played more earlier, though.

Reggie should have played more. Actually he should have played a whole lot more.

I would rather be a player with little playing time for this team. Because the ones who got time did not do squat with it. There just not a silver lining. With that record top 7 players have no more merit than the water boys. Couch has got a lot to explain!

I started the thread, so yeah, I read the topic. Per 40 minutes, here are the rebounding averages for the "four biggest guys" on the team:

Manning 5.3

Gillmann 5.4

Jolly 3.2

Lancona 4.3

Compare that to the smaller guys you evidently wish they had taken minutes from:

Yarbrough 8.1

Yacoubou 7.3

Roby 4.5

Agbeko was the best rebounder on the team and is also shorter than the four guys on the first list. Miles Reynolds at 6'2" averaged more rebounds on a per minute basis than Jolly at 6'9" and Lancona at 6'8", and was comparable to Gillmann at 6'10" and Manning at 6'11". That should be proof right there that there is more to rebounding than height. Not every tall guy is a rebounding wiz, and we seem to be good at collecting tall guys who are very rebounding challenged.

By the end of the year he did play a lot more, and the overall results weren't much better. I agree it would've made us suck less at rebounding if he had played more earlier, though.

Reggie in conference play had the best turnover rate out of the bigs., the best effective FG%, the best defensive win share, the best offensive win share, the best off Reb %, the best def reb %, and the second best win share per 40 on the whole team.

Reggie averaged 15.1 minutes per game in conference play.

But he played 22+ MPG in the last six games and seven of the last eight. The one exception was @VCU. Reggie looked like one of the best players on the team in that stretch, but the Bills still went 1-7.

Reggie in conference play had the best turnover rate out of the bigs., the best effective FG%, the best defensive win share, the best offensive win share, the best off Reb %, the best def reb %, and the second best win share per 40 on the whole team.

You cant just say this is what a guy will rebound in 40 mins of play. Now a guy playing 15+mins a game you cant get a pretty good idea but the guys that are not its just not going to jive. With there record you really could not have done any worse. And at this point 11-24 record I would have found out with playing time not statistics. If your not playing them they have no chance of improving the numbers.

And this team never did improve. Total over haul or more of the same?

You cant just say this is what a guy will rebound in 40 mins of play. Now a guy playing 15+mins a game you cant get a pretty good idea but the guys that are not its just not going to jive. With there record you really could not have done any worse. And at this point 11-24 record I would have found out with playing time not statistics. If your not playing them they have no chance of improving the numbers.

Gillmann played 16 MPG. Manning played 14 (and 12 last year). Jolly played 11. Lancona played 10 (and 9 last year). Forgive me for not wanting to see more of Manning, Jolly and Lancona this year. People were calling for Crews to shorten his bench all season. If anything, he gave those three too much playing time.

How does our record matter?

It shows we sucked even when Reggie played a lot. And that if Reggie is one of our best players, we are in pretty bad shape.

The focus should be on getting better players (and maybe better coaches to recruit and develop players). I don't think the problem is fundamentally one of different combinations, as bewildering as Crews' rotations have been all year. The roster as a whole just isn't very good, and was oddly constructed. I don't know enough to say whether it's more about lack of talent to start with or more about not being "coached up" and taught a system.

It shows we sucked even when Reggie played a lot. And that if Reggie is one of our best players, we are in pretty bad shape.

The focus should be on getting better players (and maybe better coaches to recruit and develop players). I don't think the problem is fundamentally one of different combinations, as bewildering as Crews' rotations have been all year. The roster as a whole just isn't very good, and was oddly constructed. I don't know enough to say whether it's more about lack of talent to start with or more about not being "coached up" and taught a system.

Reggie and Crawford were our best players down the stretch and we sucked. But they both played well when given the time. That's how I'm looking at it. We aren't that good, but you still have to play your best players.

It's been said on here from people "in the know" that the constantly changing lineups and yanks by the coaches really hurt the overall team development.

I agree, if there's anything to criticize about the rotations, it's the constant substitutions and not settling on a consistent rotation. But this conversation started by saying the "biggest guys" didn't play enough. That was the exact opposite of the problem. Manning, Jolly, and Lancona were the guys taking playing time from Agbeko and Crawford until the last seven games of the year.

Late in the year, I thought Crews came a lot closer to doing what everyone had been wishing he would all season. He played Agbeko more. He played Crawford more. He even played McBroom more in the last two games. Too little too late, I know, but to me the bigger problem is still that the roster just wasn't good enough.

I agree, if there's anything to criticize about the rotations, it's the constant substitutions and not settling on a consistent rotation. But this conversation started by saying the "biggest guys" didn't play enough. That was the exact opposite of the problem. Manning, Jolly, and Lancona were the guys taking playing time from Agbeko and Crawford until the last seven games of the year.

Late in the year, I thought Crews came a lot closer to doing what everyone had been wishing he would all season. He played Agbeko more. He played Crawford more. He even played McBroom more in the last two games. Too little too late, I know, but to me the bigger problem is still that the roster just wasn't good enough.

Agree with all of this. I think Manning and Jolly are horrible. I know Lancona was bad, but he looked average at times last year. I felt like he got the least chance to play through his mistakes on the team. That said, our lineups at the end of the year were my preference from the start (or at least by December)