KenPom Conference Only Stats

slufan13

Due to the terrible non-conference schedule and the required time for our freshmen to develop, I think A10 play is the best place to judge our players. I enjoy kenpom ratings because they look at more than just the basic stats. Numbers don't lie. They don't always tell the whole story, but they aren't really debatable either.

Only players used on at least 16% of the possessions are counted for this exercise

% of Minutes:

1. Yarbrough 72%

2. Roby 70.5%

3. Yacoubou 63.7%

Offensive Rating: measured by total points produced (field goals, free throws, assists, offensive rebounds) divided by individual possessions x 100

1. Crawford 107.7 (22nd in the conference)

2. Reynolds 102.1

3. Roby 99.6

% of Possessions : measured by plays made by a player that end a possession (made shot, missed shot rebounded by defense, turnover)

1. Yarbough 27.4 (6th in the conference)

2. Yacoubou 25.8 (10th in the conference)

3. Crawford 22.6

Effective Field Goal %: same as regular field goal % except made 3 pointers are given approximately 50% more credit

1. Crawford 59.8

2. Bartley 58%

3. Roby 51.3% (24th in conference)

**Crawford and Bartley are not eligible for conference ranks as they have not played enough minutes**

***Agbeko ranks 1st on the team with a 72.2% eGF% but does not qualify as he only plays 26% of the minutes and is used on less than 16% of possessions

True Shooting %: Its like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts.

1. Crawford: 64.1%

2. Bartley 57.6%

3. Roby 56.1% (21st in conference)

**Again Crawford and Bartley are not eligible for conference ranks due to lack of minutes**

***Again Agbeko ranks 1st on the team with a 65.9% TS% but does not qualify as he only plays 26% of the minutes and is used on less than 16% of possessions***

Assist Rate: Assists by the player divided by the field goals made by player's teammates while that player is on the court.

1. Reynolds 25%

2. McBroom 23.5%

3. Bartley 18.9%

Turnover Rate: Percentage of personal possessions that end in turnovers

1. Bartley 26.2%

2. Yacoubou 25.1%

3. Roby 20.2%

Here's some of the basic stats to take a look at as well.

Points Per Game:

1. Yarbrough 12.2

2. Yacoubou 9.5

3. Roby 9.3

4. Crawford 8.2

5. Bartley 5.3

Field Goal %:

1. Agbeko 72.2%

2. Crawford 51.5%

3. Manning 50.0%

4. Yarbrough 46.0%

5. Roby 44.9%

Assists Per Game:

1. McBroom 1.9

2. Roby 1.8

3. Bartley 1.7

4. Reynolds 1.4

5. Yarbrough 1.4

Turnovers Per Game:

1. Yacoubou 2.7

2. Yarbrough 2.3

3. Roby 1.8

4. Barley 1.4

5. Crawford 1.3

Next week we'll look at rebounding and defense. I started with offense because we currently rank 278th in the country in offensive efficiency and 14th (last) in the A10.

Here's the rest of our offensive conference stats

Offensive Efficiency: 14th

eFG%: 5th

Turnover %: 14th

3P%: 5th

2P%: 6th

FT: 10th

Shots Blocked %: 12th

My two big takeaways from this.......

-Agbeko is not nearly as much of a TO machine as I thought. For a while it seemed like every time he'd touch the ball he'd immediately travel or throw it away, but must not be the case considering he's not in the top 3 TO%. Must be that it's just easier to remember the bad stuff especially when he gets so few minutes. I'm officially convinced--as others on this board have been arguing for awhile now--that he should be seeing the court more. I wonder why he's not.

-The Bills are actually a pretty decent shooting team. Our conference rankings in shooting % are better than I thought they would be, considering how bad our offense has been. Looks like KenPom and the Wiz are in agreement as per the Wiz's recent rant after the Rhody game...our TO rate is unacceptable. But gives me a little tiny bit of hope for the future that if we can improve our TO rate...not even to an excellent rate but even just keeping the TOs down to a reasonable rate...we could improve a TON. Of course that's easier said than done especially when our offense sometimes just looks like it consists solely of us passing it around the perimeter until we inevitably throw the ball away, like we're playing hot potato and no one wants to wind up with the ball when the shot clock winds down.

Agbeko did have at least one game, maybe two where it seemed like he turned it over most of the times he touched it. Since then he has been good at taking care of the ball. I think a lot of it is a function of how the refs are calling the game. Most games there is an awful lot of feet shuffling that doesn't get called. That's when he can look like a star. He definitely has shown potential and has changed my mind about his ability to compete at this level. In fact playing him at 4 and MY at 3 worked well. I suppose that was only done because of Yacoubou's foul trouble. He can certainly handle the 5 spot better than our big three.

Agbeko isn't nearly the turnover machine a lot of people think he is, and McBroom is also a better distributor than a lot of people think he is.

As for the Crawford/Yacoubou debate, the shooting efficiency is only part of the story. The question really hinges on whether this team can afford to sub out one of its best rebounders for its worst. It's starved for offense, but it's also starved for rebounding, and therein lies the rub. The more and more I see of this team, it looks like we have a roster full of role players. Is there even one player you can really say you want to see 30+ minutes on a daily basis? Maybe I'm just being overly negative after seeing Yarbrough turn it over 8 times, but even he has not looked like the star we need him to be lately.

Agbeko isn't nearly the turnover machine a lot of people think he is, and McBroom is also a better distributor than a lot of people think he is.

As for the Crawford/Yacoubou debate, the shooting efficiency is only part of the story. The question really hinges on whether this team can afford to sub out one of its best rebounders for its worst. It's starved for offense, but it's also starved for rebounding, and therein lies the rub. The more and more I see of this team, it looks like we have a roster full of role players. Is there even one player you can really say you want to see 30+ minutes on a daily basis? Maybe I'm just being overly negative after seeing Yarbrough turn it over 8 times, but even he has not looked like the star we need him to be lately.

That's the issue and it'll be more seen when I post rebounding next week. We're one of the least efficient offenses in the country, but we're just as bad at rebounding. Agree with you that we may full of role guys. This is why I want to see Roby at the point, Crawford at the 2, and Yacoubou at the 3.