ACC A-10 "challenge" set for Brooklyn

SLUDrew

At least according to the author. I am not sure how much I like giving up our tournament venue in exchange for a couple of games against members of the ACC, but if our games against them become an "event" and we do well it could certainly bode well for the league.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-barclays-announce,0,3034689.post

At least according to the author. I am not sure how much I like giving up our tournament venue in exchange for a couple of games against members of the ACC, but if our games against them become an "event" and we do well it could certainly bode well for the league.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-barclays-announce,0,3034689.post

I'm not sure how much of a choice the A-10 really had. Yes we may have had a contract with the Barclays center but if you want to be good business partners with someone and potentially go back to NYC in future years sometimes its better to concede and live to fight another day.

Assuming the big 10 doesn't get involved in NYC, I could see the ACC and A-10 setting up a revolving door where we go back and forth between NYC and a more southern location (DC for the A-10 makes a lot of sense and North Carolina or DC works for the ACC).

Looks like its done:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2014/03/25/acc-basketball-tournament-barclays-center/6862583/

A-10 gives up Brooklyn in 2017 but gets it back in 2019-2021. Will likely go to Pittsburgh or DC for 2017 and 2018. The A-10 will also get some double headers against ACC schools at the Barclays Center. I have a tough time believing we'd be invited to those given how mediocre our travel typically is.

So we sold out one year of the original five years for assurances from the ACC that their teams will play us? Get ready for Fordham vs. BC. At the Barclays Center no less. But I will bet you the place will be filled for the ACC title games in 17 and 18. No need to drape those curtains down from the upper deck.

The A10 is going to be a tough sell no matter where you go for our post season tournament. A sell-out would only likely occur if the home team was in the title game. And likely, with the exception of maybe VCU in Richmond, in their own building. Or if we gave all games to Dayton. We are carpetbaggers in DC -- GeeDubya notwithstanding. DC is a city of constant immigrants. Few with local ties. But if DC follows anyone, DC follows Georgetown. And DC follows Maryland. DC does not follow GeeDubya or Mason. Pittsburgh does not follow Duquesne. Duquesne hosted Dayton in the Penguins new home and attendance was 6,271 or 33% capacity. If those folks had gone to Palumbo, it would have been at 142% capacity. And neither Pittsburgh nor DC carries the casula basketball fan image that NYC does.

This league does not fill up pro-style arenas. That is why Saint Louis University has Chaifetz and is out of Savvis. Big East schools can't fill MSG, the Verizion Center, the Bradley Center, or any of their other stolen pro team homes. Only the big boys can do it and do it consistently.

Again, I liked 9,000 seat Boardwalk Hall and the amentities of Atlantic City. But that is central for no one.

So we sold out one year of the original five years for assurances from the ACC that their teams will play us? Get ready for Fordham vs. BC. At the Barclays Center no less. But I will bet you the place will be filled for the ACC title games in 17 and 18. No need to drape those curtains down from the upper deck.

The A10 is going to be a tough sell no matter where you go for our post season tournament. A sell-out would only likely occur if the home team was in the title game. And likely, with the exception of maybe VCU in Richmond, in their own building. Or if we gave all games to Dayton. We are carpetbaggers in DC -- GeeDubya notwithstanding. DC is a city of constant immigrants. Few with local ties. But if DC follows anyone, DC follows Georgetown. And DC follows Maryland. DC does not follow GeeDubya or Mason. Pittsburgh does not follow Duquesne. Duquesne hosted Dayton in the Penguins new home and attendance was 6,271 or 33% capacity. If those folks had gone to Palumbo, it would have been at 142% capacity. And neither Pittsburgh nor DC carries the casula basketball fan image that NYC does.

This league does not fill up pro-style arenas. That is why Saint Louis University has Chaifetz and is out of Savvis. Big East schools can't fill MSG, the Verizion Center, the Bradley Center, or any of their other stolen pro team homes. Only the big boys can do it and do it consistently.

Again, I liked 9,000 seat Boardwalk Hall and the amentities of Atlantic City. But that is central for no one.

We sold out 2017 for assurances from the Barclays Center that we can have 2019, 2020 and 2021. That's not a bad deal. The A-10/ACC challenge games are just icing on top.

DC makes a lot of sense for 2017-18. GW and GM are extremely close. Richmond and VCU are less than 2 hours away and all the Philly schools are only 2.5 hours away.

I agree totally. Taj Mahal 79. I've not been to the tourney in Atlantic City, but a more intimate arena gives a totally different impression than a 60% empty big league arena. Let's bring it to Charleston. They have a nice 10,500 seat arena, it's on the Atlantic Ocean, a completely non partisan location, and it's annually ranked as one of America's favorite tourist destinations. Also, whose wives wouldn't be in favor of a 4-5 day vacation in the Holy City? Great restaurants, shopping, Ante Bellum, Plantations, Ghost Tours. It's doable in a day by car from most A10 locations, even Saint Louis, since I've done it. Although, I'd recommend air and it's serviced by SWest Airlines (cheap fares). Box and Bay Area would agree, right? Should I go to the CofCommerce and have them make a pitch?

I agree totally. Taj Mahal 79. I've not been to the tourney in Atlantic City, but a more intimate arena gives a totally different impression than a 60% empty big league arena. Let's bring it to Charleston. They have a nice 10,500 seat arena, it's on the Atlantic Ocean, a completely non partisan location, and it's annually ranked as one of America's favorite tourist destinations. Also, whose wives wouldn't be in favor of a 4-5 day vacation in the Holy City? Great restaurants, shopping, Ante Bellum, Plantations, Ghost Tours. It's doable in a day by car from most A10 locations, even Saint Louis, since I've done it. Although, I'd recommend air and it's serviced by SWest Airlines (cheap fares). Box and Bay Area would agree, right? Should I go to the CofCommerce and have them make a pitch?

As far as impressions go, looking at the tv you had no idea that the top was closed off at the Barclays. It looked packed because the cameras only show the lower bowl. I can't speak to the atmosphere at the games themselves.