Billiken Coaches

How would you rank our last 4 Billiken head coaches? I think we need to do this on overall success of the program, this includes everything like wins, NCAA/NIT appearances, attendance, recruiting, etc. Here is how I have them ranked.

1. Charlie Spoonhour--our best years were with Charlie, his teams went farther and provided more excitement for our program. Also we started playing at first the Arena & then the Savvis to packed houses. Also gets credit for our 1 special year with Larry Hughes.

2. Rich Grawer--rebuilt the basketball program. Was able to recruit local talent which provided 3 20+ win seasons. While he was not able to get us over the hump & into the NCAAs, the work Grawer did provided us the base to move into both larger arenas & better conferences. Also had a couple very good NIT appearances.

3. Brad Soderberg--still very early in his coaching here at SLU but has had some success with two winning seasons & two NIT appearances. His '04 & 05 recruiting classes have solidified our St Louis recruiting base & have probably generated more recruiting excitement for SLU since Hughes came on board. I expect Brad to move up this list to the top if these recruits pan out.

4. Lorenzo Romar--came in with great promise. Tried to recruit nationally for SLU & came close on some very talented players. Had a great CUSA tournament run bringing home the trophy & our NCAA bid. Overall his short time here did not meet expectations & failed to hold on to the momentum of Spoonhour's time. Because he was here for such a short time do not know if he could have turned things around.

Interested to see how others would rank our last four coaches.

I would agree with those rankings. Although I definitely expect Brad to jump over all of them and be #1 in a few years. Hopefully by his name in the future you'll be able to put numerous NCAA Tourney appearances, a conference title or two, and instrumental in getting an on-campus arena.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Okay now try to name the 4 before them,in order?Oh what could have been if only Upchurch wore Billiken Blue,sigh.

OK so I did kind of cheat because I could not remember Randy Albrecht's name (Old Timers setting in tonight). However, it was Ron Ekker, Ron Coleman (who only had the job one year) Albrecht ( 3 yrs.) and Bob Polk (5 Yrs).

If you aree going for longevity and record combined...then it has to be:

1.) Eddie Hickey 11 Yrs. .703 winning Pct. ('47-'48 thru '57-'58')

2.) Mike Nyikos 8 Yrs. .641 winning Pct. ('28-'29 thru '35-'36)

3.) John Bennington 7 Yrs. .621 winning Pct.('58-'59 thru '64-'65)

4.) Spoon 7 Yrs. .575 winning Pct. ('92-'93 thru '98-'99)

I became a Billiken fan during the Bennington years and can remember him fairly well. I would say my favorite HC's have been Spoon, Polk (who is very under rated), Bennington and Grawer. Coach Soderberg has a good chance to surpass all of them.

I thought I read that Bennington went on to coach at Michigan State,is that correct?How did he do there,if correct?