Wiz question- SLU ranking post Majerus passing?

GW

Wiz- would it be possible for you to determine SLU's ranking post Majerus passing? Understandably, this is a much different team as it stands today vs the early part of the season. Between concern over RM health, various injuries, acclimating to a new coach etc., shouldn't we be willing to overlook early season results (3-3 start)? Out of curiosity, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you give us the ranking of either post RM passing (starting at valpo) or probably preferably post funeral (starting dec 15th utm- should give better numbers). In this time frame SLU is 21-3, 4-0 vs ranked teams, 2 overtime losses. I'm guessing this will yield a top ten ranking. Thanks in advance.

Wiz- would it be possible for you to determine SLU's ranking post Majerus passing? Understandably, this is a much different team as it stands today vs the early part of the season. Between concern over RM health, various injuries, acclimating to a new coach etc., shouldn't we be willing to overlook early season results (3-3 start)? Out of curiosity, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you give us the ranking of either post RM passing (starting at valpo) or probably preferably post funeral (starting dec 15th utm- should give better numbers). In this time frame SLU is 21-3, 4-0 vs ranked teams, 2 overtime losses. I'm guessing this will yield a top ten ranking. Thanks in advance.

Wow. You have stumped the Wiz.

Sorry I missed your post but I haven't been on the board much the last couple of days.

As everyone knew....we had a pretty good team coming into the season. At the start, I had the Bills as a B+ team ...not a lock for a great season but a lot of potential.. The season started slow although there were no bad losses (KU..A+...Wash .B...SanCl...B-....all current grades) I think after the Wash game the gelling process started. Beginning with Valpo, we put together a 9 game streak. For those that can remember, that is where I predicted we would win at least 8 in a row. There were a lot of creampuffs in there but we also beat UNM an A team. During that time we saw the return of KM and the loss of RM. Definitely, a transition period. Then came the turning point in the season. We were an A- team and had just lost to Temple. Coming home to play a so- so RI team (C-) A game we should have won but slipped away. ....1-2 in conference play ...many on the board giving up on the season or JC. But that loss was a wakeup call. It propelled the team from an A-/B+ to an elite team. As of today we are an A team (17th on my ranking) Since Jan 23 (Duq game) we are an A+ team. In the last couple of months we have played as well as anyone. There are only about 7 teams we would have trouble with and if we had a good game we would have a chance against them too.

So that is the long answer to the question of pre and post....B+ very good to A+ elite.

One last thing ....Weber St still leads the nation in Div 1 three pt shooting with a 43.3% rate. In all 6 of our losses, the opp have beaten that shooting mark. Here is how it looks......

SC......68.3%

KU......53.8

Wash..60

Temp..45.5

RI........53.8

x..........45.5

So there you have it. Anytime we let a team shoot better than the best team in the country we stand a good chance to lose. Anytime we hold a team to below their average ...pretty good chance to not only win but exceed the spread. The best 3 three point shooting teams in the A-10 are Day, Rich and LaS. We held them all to 20% or less. For most of the year we have held teams to below their 3 average.

Seems to have worked out pretty well.

Sorry I missed your post but I haven't been on the board much the last couple of days.

As everyone knew....we had a pretty good team coming into the season. At the start, I had the Bills as a B+ team ...not a lock for a great season but a lot of potential.. The season started slow although there were no bad losses (KU..A+...Wash .B...SanCl...B-....all current grades) I think after the Wash game the gelling process started. Beginning with Valpo, we put together a 9 game streak. For those that can remember, that is where I predicted we would win at least 8 in a row. There were a lot of creampuffs in there but we also beat UNM an A team. During that time we saw the return of KM and the loss of RM. Definitely, a transition period. Then came the turning point in the season. We were an A- team and had just lost to Temple. Coming home to play a so- so RI team (C-) A game we should have won but slipped away. ....1-2 in conference play ...many on the board giving up on the season or JC. But that loss was a wakeup call. It propelled the team from an A-/B+ to an elite team. As of today we are an A team (17th on my ranking) Since Jan 23 (Duq game) we are an A+ team. In the last couple of months we have played as well as anyone. There are only about 7 teams we would have trouble with and if we had a good game we would have a chance against them too.

So that is the long answer to the question of pre and post....B+ very good to A+ elite.

One last thing ....Weber St still leads the nation in Div 1 three pt shooting with a 43.3% rate. In all 6 of our losses, the opp have beaten that shooting mark. Here is how it looks......

SC......68.3%

KU......53.8

Wash..60

Temp..45.5

RI........53.8

x..........45.5

So there you have it. Anytime we let a team shoot better than the best team in the country we stand a good chance to lose. Anytime we hold a team to below their average ...pretty good chance to not only win but exceed the spread. The best 3 three point shooting teams in the A-10 are Day, Rich and LaS. We held them all to 20% or less. For most of the year we have held teams to below their 3 average.

You receive no credit for your answer. You took days to think and respond. Always better to apologize rather than make up excuses.

SC......68.3%

KU......53.8

Wash..60

Temp..45.5

RI........53.8

x..........45.5

Wiz- Thank you for the reply and detailed information. Given the post duq A+ ranking and the mention of 7 teams to worry about, I take it that SLU is ranked #8 over that time frame? Basically I'm trying to identify the post duq SLU team as the "authentic" one from which to base projections as opposed to the full season A grade #17 ranked team. You state how at season start you had SLU ranked as a B+ team- which is probably fair given the RM and injury situation. However, would not this team, healthy and led by Majerus, be starting the season with an A or A+ ranking? My belief is that we have now become that elite team which we were meant to be from the start. If this is the case, then all the pre duq B+(?) net results are weighing down your full season projections. This fits with what your projection results have been post duq. Over those 13 games, you had one accurate point spread projection (duq), only 1 miss overestimating (4 points, X), and 11 misses underestimating by an average of 10 points. I am not criticizing as I appreciate and respect what you do- but missing that much and that consistently is what is going to happen when B+ projections (rising to A- and then A) are applied to what is actually an A+ team. Would it be possible for the future spreads to give a post duq SLU A+ rated spread as well? If that is too much trouble, what would be the amount of points to add to the current A #17 ranking to reflect the A+ post duq ranking? Also, do you have the numbers for today's charlotte game (disregard if already posted and I missed them)? Thanks.