SLU is hoping search for AD isn't a long one

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...sn't+a+long+one

I hope that they don't rush this. They need to hire someone good for the job.

"I would like to be involved," Soderberg said. "It would give me a chance to see what we have available. Though I won't have the final decision, I hope the people who do make the decision will ask what I think."

I hope Soderberg has alot of input on who the new AD is going to be that way they have a good relationship from the get go. And obviously BS knows what it is going to take to make SLU a true contender year in year out.

It is interesting that Brad made this statement in the paper. Obviously, it is important to him that the next AD is someone he can get along with and brings the right assets to the table. I have to believe that Brad is going to be on the search committee.

I certainly believe that Brad's input should be sought, but I don't think he should serve on the search committee nor any other coach. Their influence should come from behind the scene.

Lobo - I agree with you. I do however believe that all coaches should have a chance to meet with the finalists to provide input to the administration. Should the administration place great value on the feedback - yes but it is one of the many factors they should consider. Brad is concerned because ADs often like to hire their own coaches - This new AD would be foolish to start playing games with Brad because he would end up paying the price.

I strongly suspect that a representive group of SLU's coaches

(including the major revenue sports i.e., men's bball and men's soccer) will have individual meetings/interviews with each of the three or four finalist. Hopefully, the serious candidates for SLU's AD position will recognize before they come to St. Louis that men's bball is the key revenue producer.

>I certainly believe that Brad's input should be sought, but

>I don't think he should serve on the search committee nor

>any other coach. Their influence should come from behind the

>scene.

Anyone with a brain who comes to interview for the AD job at SLU has to know that this position requires getting along with Brad. You put Brad on the committee, then there is no mistaking the fact. It's all out on the table. SLU has one sport that is the 1000 pound gorilla in the athletic ring--men's b-ball. Brad Soderberg is far and away the most important individual to the health of the 1000 pound gorilla.

If, however, one has a concern that the AD just might one day have to fire Brad, then I can see the merit for keeping him off the committee. Personally, I don't have such a worry. Brad is our guy.

I think it is interesting to note the sentiment about Brad's input as well as that from other coaches into the selection of the new A.D. If U.S.F. applied that thinking into the selection of Woolard, he probably would not have gotten the job there.

I'm not saying that the SLU coaches should be given a vote on the candidates, as if it were a democratic process; rather, I'm saying the coaches should consult with the selection committee prior to the process to weigh in on what qualities are vital to maintaining and improving all of the athletics programs at SLU.