Fire Woolard NOW!!!

After reading all of Woolard's comments about what an amazing opportunity USF is, I think it is clear that he must go regardless of USF decision.

He clearly doesnt want to be here. At a time when raising money for a new arena should be the main focus of his job, he is in Tampa, kissing butts.

USF facts:

A football team that will never get any better than they are right now, mid-level CUSA. Despite what is common belief, their attendance is awful and if Woolard thinks they will ever be able to recruit with the likes of UF, FSU and Miami, he is kidding himself.

A basketball team that doesnt draw flies that will be beaten up badly in the Big East. No more Tulane's and Southern Miss's to steal a few conference wins.

USF is much better than SLU in some lesser sports: Baseball, Volleyball, Track, Softball. Not as good in Soccer and WHoops.

If you think SLU doesnt get much attention in the media, USF's situation is a whole lot worse.

USF is an inferior academic institution. They let anyone in who has a pulse. It is a monstrously large commuter school with very low academic standards. They have stars on their faculty such as Islamic Terrorists.

So enjoy Doug! I hope you get the gig. If not, I think it is time for you to pack up your things and go anyway.

IMHO whether, or not, you like Woolard it is his option to check out other jobs that may or may not be an upgrade over his job at SLU. Frankly, it is the American way to seek better opportunities, and I have even done it a number of times myself during my working career. I don't hold it against Doug Woolard to interview with other colleges for an open AD job.

Living here in Tampa, I don't happen to share all of your beliefs about USF and I do know a few things about the university as my future son-in-law attends USF. I disagree with you on their football program and see it as an up and coming program. In Jim Leavitt, they have one of the brightest young HC's and Florida is a hotbed for recruiting. While they may not always be able to beat out Miami, Florida or Florida State, they really can pick up their scraps and still field a very competitive team. IMHO the Big East, in football really opens up with the departure Miami who was the real power of the league. Don't try and tell me that Cincy and Louisville have much better football programs than USF because I won't buy that Kool-Aid. I'll have to give their new basketball HC a couple more years before I pronounce the program as brain dead...he had a decent track record at Western Michigan and somewhat like Coach Soderberg, he inherited a real mess.

I don't have a problem with Woolard being quoted as saying nice things about USF...that's just common when folks interview for another job. FYI...before Sammy EL Arian was arrested, Judy Genshaft was trying her best to fire him...the Feds just happened to beat her to the punch. As far as I can tell, there is nothing wrong with the education my son-in-law is receiving at USF...I suspect he will be very successful in whatever he decides to do. As to Doug Woolard, it's his option to look at other opportunities to see if they are better than the one he currently has.

is this

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...t+South+Florida

the article you speak of?

if so, i fail to see an "over the top, i want the job because it is better than where i am" attitude you seem to allude to.

that said, it is amazing that you have never switched jobs or altered your career path your entire life. i commend you for your loyalty in your life.

If you have read all (see Tampa Tribune) of Doug Woolard's comments last week about both SLU and USF you would get a more complete reading about his strong feelings for SLU and his interest in USF.

I can only assume that 90% of all D1 athletic department administrators want to be an AD at a BCS school. In addition, I'm guessing that the South Florida job would pay between $50k - $100k more than Woolard is making at SLU. Perhaps the big increase in salary is supposed to offset having to deal with big time college football and having to live year-round in the Tampa Bay area.

I wish Woolard good luck in choosing his career path. Personally, I want him at SLU for the next several years.

For what it is worth, and I have lived both places (St. Louis most of my life) but I'll take living in the sunny Tampa Bay area over St. Louis year round any day of the week. Like my kids say, they feel like they are on vacation everday...not too shabby! As to the USF AD opening, the articles I have read make me think that Oliver may get the job, but it is only a hunch as I have no inside information on the selection process. I would also concur that it would be a salary increase for Woolard, but I don't really have a guess as to how much.

My "tongue-in-cheek" comment about living in the Tampa Bay area was made just to see how long it would take to get a response from Mr. Schasz! Except for all of the snowbirds, I'm sure Tampa Bay is a great place to live.

I agree with your comments that Oliver looks like the peoples choice. It may be a case where the university president would like to have the broad experience, maturity that a Woolard would bring, but she also hears what the USF community is saying/requesting. I'm assuming Monday is the decision day.

We see fewer northern license plates shortly after Easter, by now, they are basically back in their Northern haunts...by the way, the temp today is supposed to hit a hi of 85 with just your average typical sunny Florida day. Think I will go hit the golf ball since my wife is working today, on Mother's Day. That reminds me Happy Mother's Day if there are any women who frequent this website.

Schasz, I just walked off the golf course here in St. Louis. It has been between 85 and 90 and sunny all week. There is no doubt in my mind that you can give us a hard time about our weather during much of the year, but I will take my St. Louis weather in May.

I thought that he was full of B.S. when he told me that he could consistently hit it 300+ yards...that was, until I saw it with my own eyes. He can really smoke his driver, and apparently he won some long driving tournaments when he was a teen against men. I know who is going to be on my freakin team when we play scrambles. His downfall is only on the greens and that is the one place where I can beat him. I was quite impressed with his ball striking, distance, and ability to hit it straight too.