AP Preseason Poll...

Schasz

You know that it is time to start college hoops for keeps once we see the preseason polls. In looking at the AP poll I had the following thoughts.

UCONN is no. 1 as they seem to be in many of the polls...they are followed by Duke, Mich State and Arizona who we will see at Savvis. No real surprises here, and one could make an argument that any of these four could hoist a national championship banner next year at their gym. I kind of like Michigan State but then I saw a lot of them at the NCAA Tourney last year and really liked what I saw in person.

Will Mizzou make their first Final Four before the NCAA puts them on probation? The AP has the Tigers at no. 5, and they do appear loaded for this upcoming season.

My second favorite Jesuit school, Gonzaga is ranked no. 10. I think they have almost everyone back from a talented team that lost a heart breaker to Arizona in the NCAA Tourney last year.

CUSA has the following ranked teams: no. 16 Louisville, no. 18 Cincy, and no. 23 Marquette...Memphis also received votes. IMHO, UAB and Charlotte will be sleepers in the race for teams getting the CUSA NCAA bids.

From our new A10 conference, only St. Joes made the Top 25 chiming in at no. 17. By the way, Jameer Nelson is quite a player for St. Joes. Xavier came in at no. 29 and Dayton received 1 vote. It should be another exciting year, and I am ready to see how Coach Soderberg and our Bills fare this year.

i agree on uab. i feel sure they are a top 5 in conference usa and i tend to believe uab is closer to the top of that top 5 than 5th.

Thanks for the compliments on our team. We do have a VERY talented team this year. We finally came together as a team at the end of last year and started winning ball games and playing the style of basketball that Coach Anderson wants to play.

All of our returning players have one more year of experience under their belt and our new recruits are AMAZING...especially The Taylor Twins. Those guys can flat out play some basketball!

I feel that UAB will have a top 5 team in CUSA but there are a lot of good teams this year. Charlotte improved on paper from last year, Marquette still has very good players, Cincy is always good, Memphis lost a top recruit to the NBA BUT they still have an awesome roster, Louisville has a strong crew, you guys were VERY tough for us to beat in the CUSA tourney, etc.

There's so much parity in the league these days. There won't be a clear cut best in the league until the end.

Good luck this season!

slive turned on us. conference usa was supposed to be a basketball first conference. but then somewhere along the way he lost his way. my guess is he did what cincy and louisville told him to do.