Other Conference Tourney Games

We had a couple of threads talking about other conference tourney games, but thought it might make sense to put them all in one place.

I really just wanted to start a thread to laugh at the score of the USF-ND game: 51-50...in OVERTIME! After watching Villanova yesterday and seeing the score of the UCONN-Cuse today, the Big East can really play ugly/boring bball at times.

We had a couple of threads talking about other conference tourney games, but thought it might make sense to put them all in one place.

I really just wanted to start a thread to laugh at the score of the USF-ND game: 51-50...in OVERTIME! After watching Villanova yesterday and seeing the score of the UCONN-Cuse today, the Big East can really play ugly/boring bball at times.

'ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ'

Above quote from me yesterday trying to watch the Villanova game.

'ZZZZZZZ...*cough*...ZZZZZZZ'

This quote is from my wife, who is currently on the couch while the USF-ND game is playing on ESPN.

Texas beats ISU and maybe climbs in?

Miss. St. loses to a bad Georgia team and has gotta be out for sure.

From my count, here are the BCS 'bubble' teams that probably knocked themselves out of the dance with early conf tourney departures:

Seton Hall

Miss St.

Northwestern

Illinois (were all but out anyway)

I still think the committee will put Washington in only because they won the Pac-12 regular season title. I don't think a 1st place BCS team has ever been left out of the tourney. It will be interesting how they treat Washington, though.

From my count, here are the BCS 'bubble' teams that probably knocked themselves out of the dance with early conf tourney departures:

Seton Hall

Miss St.

Northwestern

Illinois (were all but out anyway)

I still think the committee will put Washington in only because they won the Pac-12 regular season title. I don't think a 1st place BCS team has ever been left out of the tourney. It will be interesting how they treat Washington, though.

I don't think Illinois ever had a chance and I really don't think Northwestern would have got an invite either.

I don't think Illinois ever had a chance and I really don't think Northwestern would have got an invite either.

If Northwestern was able to beat Minnesota, I think it would have been very likely they'd be given an at-large berth. The committee would have been able to use their SOS to justify the pick and everyone was looking for a reason to get them in there. Illinois was pretty much out anyway, but a couple of wins, maybe a trip to the finals, would have made things interesting.

If Northwestern was able to beat Minnesota, I think it would have been very likely they'd be given an at-large berth. The committee would have been able to use their SOS to justify the pick and everyone was looking for a reason to get them in there. Illinois was pretty much out anyway, but a couple of wins, maybe a trip to the finals, would have made things interesting.

NW had one win against top 50 RPI teams in 11 tries. I know they got a lot of pub recently but I don't think the committee would have put them in IMHO.

NW has played Baylor, Creighton, Ohio St twice, Purdue twice, Michigan twice, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan St. They won 1 of these 11 games. Just based on the pure randomness that exists in sports, they should win about 10% of those games. I think they needed to beat Minnesota and then beat Michigan to get in. Or they could have beaten Michigan or Ohio St at home. Unremarkable non-conference + 8-11 in conference games = out. Don't care how tough the conference is.

NW had one win against top 50 RPI teams in 11 tries. I know they got a lot of pub recently but I don't think the committee would have put them in IMHO.

If you are SMS you get screwed - saw this show already - if you are NW you get in - such is the plight of mid majors. I am glad they lost because it takes them out of the conversations. I agree with those above who said that the bubble situation is getting very messy so that actually is good for SLU should we lose to LaSalle today - might my tongue!

I think they would have needed to beat Michigan in addition to Minnesota.