Grandy Glaze Question

derunnin

Anyone have any info on how Grandy Glaze looks to be progressing? Or if he is?

His Soph. year in HS I watched him at a skills camp and was very impressed by his hustle, energy, and toughness. I was disappointed when he seemed to stop growing physically, UNLV (my hometeam) took a LOI from him but he parted ways soon after our coaching change. I was happy to see him go to SLU as I have a rooting intrest in Coach Majerus ( I attended a few of his camps and was recruited briefly by him - made a great impression on me). I also have some ties to the area (watched you play Jacksonville last year and will probably attend a game or two in the future).

I see by his stats that he is not playing much, but further info is pretty sparse on the internet. Any Injuries? Problems grasping the system?

Also, I haven't seen him in person for more than a year and was wondering if the 6'6" is accurate or if it was still a stretch.

Welcome to the board derunnin. Grandy is only getting minutes in garbage time and I haven't been to any practices so it's hard to make an assessment on his progress. From what little I have seen, his first few appearances he really didn't grasp the offense and the other players where telling him where he needed to be. In his past few fleeting minutes of court time, I've noticed Grandy now giving direction to the walkons. He's just a physical beast and SLU really needs that, especially after Conklin runs out of eligibility at the end of this season. As to the 6'6", Rick always seems to mark his players 1" or so under what he would be listed in another program. Don't ask me why. It's just what he does. I think Grandy would be listed as 6'7" on another roster. There will be more playing time available for Grandy next season but he'll need to make strides. To get in Rick's rotation, he'll need to rebound, play defense, and set picks on offense. We have several guards who can break down the defense so just by hanging around the basket, taking feeds from the guards and finishing he can contribute on the offensive end. We need players who can finish around the basket. I think he should be able to do that and, thus, has the opportunity to be in rotation next season. We'll see though as it's hard to make assessments based on such little exposure.

... And I don't think Grandy should feel that it is a reflection on him that he is not in the rotation at PF. He's behind a senior and junior (Conklin and Ellis) who are two of the top three scorers on the team.

I like Grandy's enthusiasm for the game. But after seeing him take two straight out of control charging calls against his own teammates in one of the August scrimmages, I was hoping he wouldn't hurt someone. And Rickma described him at the open house/fanfest/whatever as " all downhill on offense, all uphill on defense". So I think he needs some polishing up and he COULD be a force to be reckoned with. I can see him replacing Conk next year if he works on what he needs to do. Obviously the coaching staff saw SOMETHING in his game that they like. I told people four years ago that I liked Conklin (even playing as a freshman) because he doesn't take any prisoners. I see the same attitude with Grandy but maybe he's not quite as skilled yet.

Welcome to the board derunnin. Grandy is only getting minutes in garbage time and I haven't been to any practices so it's hard to make an assessment on his progress. From what little I have seen, his first few appearances he really didn't grasp the offense and the other players where telling him where he needed to be. In his past few fleeting minutes of court time, I've noticed Grandy now giving direction to the walkons. He's just a physical beast and SLU really needs that, especially after Conklin runs out of eligibility at the end of this season. As to the 6'6", Rick always seems to mark his players 1" or so under what he would be listed in another program. Don't ask me why. It's just what he does. I think Grandy would be listed as 6'7" on another roster. There will be more playing time available for Grandy next season but he'll need to make strides. To get in Rick's rotation, he'll need to rebound, play defense, and set picks on offense. We have several guards who can break down the defense so just by hanging around the basket, taking feeds from the guards and finishing he can contribute on the offensive end. We need players who can finish around the basket. I think he should be able to do that and, thus, has the opportunity to be in rotation next season. We'll see though as it's hard to make assessments based on such little exposure.

... And I don't think Grandy should feel that it is a reflection on him that he is not in the rotation at PF. He's behind a senior and junior (Conklin and Ellis) who are two of three top scorers on the team.

I like Grandy's enthusiasm for the game. But after seeing him take two straight out of control charging calls against his own teammates in one of the August scrimmages, I was hoping he wouldn't hurt someone. And Rickma described him at the open house/fanfest/whatever as " all downhill on offense, all uphill on defense". So I think he needs some polishing up and he COULD be a force to be reckoned with. I can see him replacing Conk next year if he works on what he needs to do. Obviously the coaching staff saw SOMETHING in his game that they like. I told people four years ago that I liked Conklin (even playing as a freshman) because he doesn't take any prisoners. I see the same attitude with Grandy but maybe he's not quite as skilled yet.

Thank you both.

FWIW (very little), he was a terror when I watched him. He was a bull on the boards and used his strength well on put-backs. A lot of time has passed since then, but I doubt he would lose any of that aggression.

How many years has Majerus been your coach? It is usually a four-five year plan with him, but the pay-off is a strong system that can maintain a high level of success for a long time. Does he have a house or is he living the hotel-life again?

I'm rooting for him.

At tonight's Billiken Club mtg, Conklin stated that Grandy was having his best 10days of practice. BC and KC, supported by Coach H, stated that both frosh were going to be good players, but learning RM's system and terminology was really tough. Apparently, BC is mentoring GG on the system and the need for serious commitment. BC had really good things to also say about JM regarding his strength and skill set.

At tonight's Billiken Club mtg, Conklin stated that Grandy was having his best 10days of practice. BC and KC, supported by Coach H, stated that both frosh were going to be good players, but learning RM's system and terminology was really tough. Apparently, BC is mentoring GG on the system and the need for serious commitment. BC had really good things to also say about JM regarding his strength and skill set.

If BC is mentoring him, he is in good hands.