OT -- Big East "Expansion"

Taj79

While I was surfing:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6771942/big-east-needs-divisions

The Big East goes to 17 teams next year with talk of adding an 18th. While Pitino is talking about ways to address some issues (seconded by Mike Brey in terms of at least opening the discussion), the talk itself is interesting. I just don't know how you can reasonably balance all this out. The football-vs.-basketball equation is discussed and Syracuse doesn't like the htought of NOT playing Georgetown inn basketball this way. Rivalry week. Also, last time I checked, 'Nova was discussing upgrading to D1 football.

To me, the logical addition seems to be Temple. But that didn't work before although Temple has promised to bulk up its own D1 football program. Could it be Memphis? Nothing challenges Memphis in CUSA anymore. Why not, TCU came into the "east." Charlotte is going football soon too. Hmmmm. Wonder if and when the next shoe falls.

While I was surfing:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6771942/big-east-needs-divisions

The Big East goes to 17 teams next year with talk of adding an 18th. While Pitino is talking about ways to address some issues (seconded by Mike Brey in terms of at least opening the discussion), the talk itself is interesting. I just don't know how you can reasonably balance all this out. The football-vs.-basketball equation is discussed and Syracuse doesn't like the htought of NOT playing Georgetown inn basketball this way. Rivalry week. Also, last time I checked, 'Nova was discussing upgrading to D1 football.

To me, the logical addition seems to be Temple. But that didn't work before although Temple has promised to bulk up its own D1 football program. Could it be Memphis? Nothing challenges Memphis in CUSA anymore. Why not, TCU came into the "east." Charlotte is going football soon too. Hmmmm. Wonder if and when the next shoe falls.

It's all about football and Memphis is one of the worst teams in D-1. Won't be them.

South Florida doesn`t want UCF to join, but hard to ignore 51,000 students in Orlando market.Brand new stadium. Remember UCF finihed ranked in the top 25 in football last season, and that`s where it`s all coming from.

Big East doesn't expand their footprint with that one. Already have USF down there. Kansas and/or Mizzou are probably the next move whenever the Big 12 implodes.

Hard for me to see this happening. Can't imagine that Kansas would want to join a basketball conference where they won't automatically be the top dog. Also don't see the Big 12 imploding as Texas just has too much influence and power. I see a more likely scenario of the Big 12 poaching a team or two in the next two years from either the SEC, C-USA or the Mountain West.

Hard for me to see this happening. Can't imagine that Kansas would want to join a basketball conference where they won't automatically be the top dog. Also don't see the Big 12 imploding as Texas just has too much influence and power. I see a more likely scenario of the Big 12 poaching a team or two in the next two years from either the SEC, C-USA or the Mountain West.

Who from the SEC would be tempted to go to the Big 12?

I think it would be the other way around with OK and OK State running off to join the SEC. Texas is killing the league with its almighty unquestionable influence.

It almost blew up last week because A&M was pitching a fit over the Longhorn Network airing HS games and contemplated a move to the SEC. As for Big 12 expansion, Beebe has repeatedly said they will not seek new members. This is partially because part of the deal that kept the conference together was to split the money less ways. Doubt the conference exists in 5 years.

Who from the SEC would be tempted to go to the Big 12?

I think it would be the other way around with OK and OK State running off to join the SEC. Texas is killing the league with its almighty unquestionable influence.

Exactly. Not a stable conference at all. If A&M and OK go to the SEC, Texas probably goes independent, Mizzou and Kansas possibly to the Big East, and the rest (ISU, TTU, Baylor, KSU, and OSU) would be up a creek.

Where ever Kansas goes it will be the top dog, don't kid yourself.

Yea, your rivals maybe in Tampa, FL and Providence, RI.

Just had a thought reading this, why wait for 'maybe' the BE to break up and slip in while the Big 12 has more a chance of disentegrating. A mix of public/private midwest schools (similar to the BE) might be an interesting option for us.

Hear this ADs, lets start putting together a new version of the Great Midwest!