SLU 3 - UAB 1.... Great news nm

gister

The bye is very helpful. But to me even more helpful is being able to say co-champions of the conference, though a two seed. It helps for NCAA seeding. Winning your regular season title carries weight. Also beating a ranked opponent on road late by two goals will keep SLU at that #8 spot or better in rankings.

What you want to avoid are two things: 1) being shipped to another region, which won't happen, and 2) playing on road in round 2 or 3 at a Creighton, or IU, or SMU type team. You want that at home. I don't care about the better road play this year. Obviously SLU could get ousted at home in first round of NCAA's and all means nothing...who knows? But you set yourself up for the best opportunity each time.

Hopefully they can make the conf tourney final or win it...but not crucial...not getting injuries in it is more important. A conf tourney win is a shot at one of 4 top seeds in NCAA...anything else should still get them #2 in a region, which would mean a tough road quarterfinal if they went that far.

I certainly like the 3 goal total. Finishing is my biggest post-season concern for them.

interesting...not one of Creighton's better years either, nor for SMU for that matter...but IU has played much better late. Those are the type of Midwest teams they would play. Frankly, none of them are as strong as normal this year. ND is tough. They will get a regional type of team like that, after an "easy" first rounder at home...never easy in post-season though.

This is a strange year ... not the usual dominance by some teams and we seem to be overly respected in the polls, who knows if that will help us in seeding. I think to even have a chance for a #2 seed we need to be in the finals of the CUSA tourney. A win and we could get a #1.

I agree with courtside ... regardless of our results at home as compared to on the road ... we want to be at home. We will have a big crowd... it should help.

This year ought to teach our young guys that you can never let up ... and every game counts. Blowing that big lead at Cinci cost them the outright title. But luckily in a conference tourney a 1 seed or a 2 seed it is not much if any different.

Congrats to the guys for a big win. It seems we are healthier and playing our best soccer of late.

Was anyone at the game?

I just read the article on the Bills athletic page.

It sounds like Martin was spectacular. As we all know great goalkeeping can win you close games ... and as it sounds in this one set the tone for a game. Martin made a big early save before Vedad netted the first goal at the 8th minute. If UAB scores that 1st goal ... this is an entirely different game, with very likely different results.

John D. My hat is off to you. 2 goals created by set pieces started by him. 1st on a well placed free kick to will John who sent it home ... and the second on a free kick hooked around a wall into the corner of the net.

I have said it before and I will say it again ... If you have not seen John D. play ... GO to the home play off games ... he alone is worth the price of admission and the time you will spend. Just to see his accuracy on any dead ball is amazing ... every one within 40 yards is a real scoring opportunity. In the last home game the winner by Wickart was a perfectly placed corner to Kevin's head ... he didn't move just hammered it home. I don't beleive I have ever ... and I don't say that lightly ... seen anyone more accurate.