interesting story about recruiting

pbill

I found an interesting perspective on how much a little bit of cheating may affect multiple programs.

Then there was the case of Ricky Paulding and Arthur Johnson in 1999-2000. Paulding, a budding star with incredible athleticism, had pretty much chosen Ohio State. Paulding said, "I was really definite (Ohio State) was my top choice. But I still had to take all of my visits and sit down and make a decision, and when I did, I decided it was Missouri. I don't know about any deciding factor.'' Arthur Johnson was still thinking though and the two wanted and to go to the same school. It was then that the Missouri Tigers illegally flew the two prospects and their mothers out to visit Columbia. The mothers were impressed (and said as much) because basically no other school had done that for them… Snyder - who ran the Duke recruiting operation for years - claimed that it was all a big surprise to him that such a thing was illegal. Pardon the skepticism, but I believe that like I believe that all the old USSR leaders used to suddenly get "sick" and "need medical treatment" during political coups. So, the dynamic duo ended up at Missouri instead of Ohio State, the NCAA slapped Missouri on the wrist, and OSU suffered. Who knows what might have been had the NCAA done what they really should have and declared them ineligible for the Tigers because their actions clearly resulted in an unfair advantage for the school. Instead, Ohio State’s season ended in the NCAA tournament for the second time in less than a decade to a team who had used illegal tactics to gain an advantage (the other being the Michigan’s well paid Fab Five).

why is a source necessary on that post? we have heard that story a million times over the last 4 years. what is it you dont believe?

Granted, we've heard it all. I'm not doubting the facts. However, this appears to be recently written. Was it found buried on the Tiger board or on the Ohio State board or was it in some national or local publication? I think the source is important, if for no other reason, in order to know who the audience was that it was intended for. Pbill comments that he "found" an "interesting perspective". Where did he find it?

sorry, i thought i pasted the source last night when i found it. it was on an ohio state message board similar to this one, so attach as much credibility to the story as you'd like. i thought it was interesting because i never knew AJ was considering OSU - i thought he and paulding were going to mizzou all along and that the flight really didn't have any influence on their decisions, hence no punishment. apparently, others don't see it that way.

and Ohio State's coach remains furious with Quin Snyder. Paulding was ready to commit to Ohio State, but AJ changed his mind. True, the plane trip was illegal, but deemed minor.

Quite frankly, I think Paulding listens too much to his buddy. Pure speculation, but I think Ricky Paulding goes to the NBA draft, however was influenced by AJ to stay another year because AJ's draft prospects weren't as bright.

actually got that off the ohio state message board through a yahoo search. believe it or not i am doing a term paper for school on ethics in recruiting collegiate athletes. it just so happens that mizzou popped up with a bunch of different stories including this post that was on the ohio state board. i've never actually gone to the board intentionally.

>actually got that off the ohio state message board through a

>yahoo search. believe it or not i am doing a term paper for

>school on ethics in recruiting collegiate athletes. it just

>so happens that mizzou popped up with a bunch of different

>stories including this post that was on the ohio state

>board. i've never actually gone to the board intentionally.

As I'm sure you've figured out, everything that is on the internet is 100% true, especially fan sites.