Why Expel vs Suspension

slu72

This is something I don't get. Why an expulsion when a suspension for the first semester would have served the same purpose? Why make them re-enroll?

I think your semantics are off (this was in either a prior post or one of the media articles). If he/they were "expelled," they couldn't come back. This is a suspension. We don't know what the terms are, but as long as KM meets those terms, he can apply to re-enroll.

This is something I don't get. Why an expulsion when a suspension for the first semester would have served the same purpose? Why make them re-enroll?

Maybe to keep the moral police happy...hey, we threw these two completely out of school.

I apologize if I'm a little cynical.

they were kicked out simply because they had kinky sex with a white girl, even if it was consentual.

"There was no sexual contact with me at all," Reed said.

"Two of the students present at the time of the alleged incident have since left the school." KSDK

I think your semantics are off (this was in either a prior post or one of the media articles). If he/they were "expelled," they couldn't come back. This is a suspension. We don't know what the terms are, but as long as KM meets those terms, he can apply to re-enroll.

My semantics say suspension.... you're suspended you don't need to re-apply. You serve your suspension and come on home. Expelled/expulsion or no longer enrolled means you need to reapply, or you've been kicked out of the club rather than you've been suspended for two months please don't come to the meetings. No offense, Bonwich, but you're sounding a little like Clinton asking "depends upon what your meaning of "is" is?" And another thing I don't get is if you've been expelled why do you need a release from your scholie? For all practical pursposes, KM is no longer a student at SLU.... they unenrolled him (if that's even a word). If he has to reapply doesn't that make him a complete free agent? A guy who's recruited here still needs to apply, right? What's the dif betwee applying and reapplying? Point being they didn't need to put either of these kids through a reapplication process. To me a suspension would have seemed a whole lot better way to deal with this than expelled.

My semantics say suspension.... you're suspended you don't need to re-apply. You serve your suspension and come on home. Expelled/expulsion or no longer enrolled means you need to reapply, or you've been kicked out of the club rather than you've been suspended for two months please don't come to the meetings. No offense, Bonwich, but you're sounding a little like Clinton asking "depends upon what your meaning of "is" is?" And another thing I don't get is if you've been expelled why do you need a release from your scholie? For all practical pursposes, KM is no longer a student at SLU.... they unenrolled him (if that's even a word). If he has to reapply doesn't that make him a complete free agent? A guy who's recruited here still needs to apply, right? What's the dif betwee applying and reapplying? Point being they didn't need to put either of these kids through a reapplication process. To me a suspension would have seemed a whole lot better way to deal with this than expelled.

SLU72 does have a point here. I got a two day suspension for smoking in high school. I did not have to reapply. Reapply sounds like expulsion.

there are 2 kinds of expulsion: permanently expelled = see you later, go away and never come back. There is such a thing as expulsion with a chance of coming back. NOTE = in this case, it appears that return is NOT guaranteed; as far as I can tell in the news reports. I have no inside info on this and even if I did I would not reveal it on here, per FERPA.

suspended athletes all over the country stay enrolled and keep going to class.

basically, it is splitting hairs to some extent; however, I would say these two were expelled -- they were not only told to leave the team; forced out of classes and off the campus.

This is a very severe judgment. The reason I posted that explanation before was because I thought a lot of guys on here were dismissing this judgment a little too much.

Part of the issue here is our contemporary preference for less severe sounding words = euphemism. It's almost as if, as long as we do not use the "expel" term, it's not really that bad. Sorry, but it's pretty bad. Maybe, a la Dean Wurmer, SLU could have announced it as double secret suspension.