Indiana schools doubleheader

kappy96

The Sports Business Daily picked this up from the Indianapolis Star this morning. I know this concept has been discussed at length on this board as a great idea for Missouri so I thought I'd share.

CHICAGO -- Indiana, Purdue, Butler and Notre Dame are in talks to play a men's basketball doubleheader involving all four schools at Conseco Fieldhouse.

The yet-to-be-named event could begin in December 2011.

"This is something (Purdue athletic director) Morgan Burke and I have been working on for a while," IU athletic director Fred Glass said Monday while attending Big Ten football media day.

"We still have to see if we can get everything worked out. We think this could be a pretty neat event with Butler and Notre Dame, as well as Conseco Fieldhouse being involved. I'm fairly optimistic all the details can be worked out."

The event would be reminiscent of the Hoosier Classic, which for many years included those schools. The history of the Hoosier Classic dates to the 1940s and Butler coach Tony Hinkle.

"I think it's a great idea and a great idea to play down there," Notre Dame coach Mike Brey said.

"This event will serve as a nod to that history while hopefully adding a new chapter to it," Purdue coach Matt Painter said.

I think its doable for any state if you try hard at it ....

MO: Mizzou, Mo State, SLU and someone.

IL: Illinois, SIU, Bradley, DePaul, and Northwestern.

PA: Penn State, Pitt, Nova, Temple, St. Joe's, Duquesne, La Salle, etc.

KY: Kentucky, Louisville, Murray State, Western or eastern kentucky.

UT: BYU, Utah, Utah State, Weber State.

Makes its interedsting no matter how you slice it and allows for improving your RPI. Playing any one of these school sin your OOC has got to be better than Savannah State, Florida A&M and/or Western Illinois.

I think its doable for any state if you try hard at it ....

MO: Mizzou, Mo State, SLU and someone.

IL: Illinois, SIU, Bradley, DePaul, and Northwestern.

PA: Penn State, Pitt, Nova, Temple, St. Joe's, Duquesne, La Salle, etc.

KY: Kentucky, Louisville, Murray State, Western or eastern kentucky.

UT: BYU, Utah, Utah State, Weber State.

Makes its interedsting no matter how you slice it and allows for improving your RPI. Playing any one of these school sin your OOC has got to be better than Savannah State, Florida A&M and/or Western Illinois.

Aren't SEMO and UMKC the only other D-I schools in the state? One of them would have to be the fourth in such an event.

The only logical way to do it here is to have it at the dome and have Illinois play Carbondale and Mizzou play us. Never would happen. Maybe when SIUC and SLU make the final four one year Illinois and Mizzou will start some discussions with us. Until then I'm not holding my breath.