Bigs and Smalls

Brad coached a good game tonight. After our bigs were ineffective going small worked.

Did JJ play? I do not remember seeing him in the game. Our bigs have got give us something in the games and years to come.

Varner did what he had to do. Set screens and shoot open shots. It would have been nice to hit a few but he still has to take them.

How do we win games with little to no inside game ? Brad is a hell of a coach.

JJ didn't play. I agree, we need more out of our big guys on the post. A positive tonight was Clarke. He did miss a jumper once but made some a couple others..can't remember. Also made some free throws. I noticed his confidence more than anything. I had a good view of the timeouts on the floor. I kept looking around Husak every time and looked like coach was really incouraging Clarke and talking to him quite a bit. Has he put on more muscle since the start of the season or could it be that I was just closer to the floor? Maybe it was just me but he seemed stronger. It could be that his confidence was exuding more....

Clarke was not wearing a big T-shirt that is why he looked bigger. You could actually see his arms.

Vouyoukas needs to get stronger. He had about 4 shots that if he had taken it strong they would have all gone in. Izik is still an enigma. He was a fish out of water tonight.

clarke did look bigger. i noticed that as well. responding to the post below, izik is not an enigma. he just doesn't play well at the 4 spot against bigger stronger guys. the games he's really looked good in have not been against the big bangers. soderberg knew this, and he didn't see much time. its that simple.

... about Izik, the how do you explain the game he put on against Memphis in Cincy? No one outside of UC has bigger bangers than the Memphis Tigers. And Iowa's tallest starter was 6'7". As a matter of fact, I thought IO went well around these guys ... but again didn't finish by going strong or even dunking. Then he gets two fouls in a game where the Bills didn't exactly embrace defensive pricipals at all in the first half. And never to be seen or heard of again ....

You can call it matchups or whatever, but I can't believe for a NY minute that the RV brings anything much better to the table. The box score says both IO and RV got eleven minutes each, but it seems RV was on the floor a whole lot more. It was definitely a more important part of the game, that's for sure. Oh well .... I guess its good that I'm not the coach and in Brad I trust. The boxscore also says that IO got two rebounds as well so that's a wash and I remember at least three times where the RV was so occupied with boxing out that little Iowans got the ball and we did not.

Alls well the ends well. I am sure that the next game will present someone else with some opportunities to shine.

>JJ didn't play. I agree, we need more out of our big guys

>on the post. A positive tonight was Clarke. He did miss a

>jumper once but made some a couple others..can't remember.

>Also made some free throws. I noticed his confidence more

>than anything. I had a good view of the timeouts on the

>floor. I kept looking around Husak every time and looked

>like coach was really incouraging Clarke and talking to him

>quite a bit. Has he put on more muscle since the start of

>the season or could it be that I was just closer to the

>floor? Maybe it was just me but he seemed stronger. It

>could be that his confidence was exuding more....

He should have slept well last night considering he was always chasing his man on D. In Cincy and again last night he was constantly beat off the dribble, especially baseline. Thankfully he came through with some big shots to offset the points he gave up.

Were you watching a different game than the rest of us? I don't recall seeing Darren get beat off the dribble on multiple ocassions. In fact, he made an excellent defensive play when he caused a turnover by driving a defender to step on the baseline. As I recall, both of Iowa's scoring droughts ocurred while Darren was in the game.

Iowa's two guys Pierre and the other guy #4 I think were some of the best wing ballhandling players I have seen this year. They blew by everyone including Fish. Clarke more than held his own. Sitting right on the baseline Clarke made a fantastic play on #4 after he seemingly was beat reaching around and knocking the ball loose causing 4 to step on the line, that was right after he hit his off the back 3 pointer.

#4 was Worley. That dude was the X factor right off the opening tip. The guys we had on the floor to start the game were useless against him (Chris Sloan sagged and the guy drilled outside shots), the next set we brought in were no more effective. Was it Clarke guarding him in the middle of the second half? That was the only period during which we seemed to contain the guy. Clarke would have been giving away 3 to 4 inches then.

.... I thought the Iowa fan who came on the board Monday said Worley was very inconsistent and not to expect much from him? This dude was suckering us.