Need help with big pictures

RiseAndGrind

good question... also how much?

Xavier Annex bottom floor, Digital Media Center. There are student workers and some staff down there that can help out. Because each picture is in color and consists of several sheets, each one costs a few bucks to finally print out, but nothing too staggering.

good question... also how much?

A decent solution is the rasterbator site: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

you can upload a file, it comes back as a series of pdf's to print. You're only cost is your time and the small printing cost (spse. $0.50 per page color inkjet, probably no more than $8.00-10.00 for a large blowup.)

You could even blow up these REALLY large for the whole blue crew section; albeit at the proportionate cost.

A decent solution is the rasterbator site: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

you can upload a file, it comes back as a series of pdf's to print. You're only cost is your time and the small printing cost (spse. $0.50 per page color inkjet, probably no more than $8.00-10.00 for a large blowup.)

You could even blow up these REALLY large for the whole blue crew section; albeit at the proportionate cost.

hahah is it weird that i asked my ex gf to prom using raserbator...

it would look awesome if there was a massive poster in the student section!

Here is a link to a fairly high-resolution photo that might get you a little publicity:

http://www.500festival.com/images/content/...Dick_Vitale.jpg

Here is a random one that would freak me out if I was shooting free throws:

http://artsblog.guidelive.com/People.jpeg

maybe still too soon one the 2nd one? i agree it would be freaky.

I made the Urkel, Conklin and read ones with some friends. The method I explain below should cost $8 (3 for tape 5 for color sheets) and take 4-5 hours.

DON"T USE RASPERATOR PROGRAMS ONLINE - THEY DON"T DO A GOOD JOB AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically the way to do it is this:

go to xavier annex, get on a computer, save the image you want as a file - ie jpeg or any other image file, then open the image file in photoshop - this is on all the computers in xavier annex. Then use the lasso tool to trim the image and take out all the background stuff you don't want.

Then resize the photo in photoshop. I did mine so that it was like 60 inches the long way. If its a bad quality photo it's going to look like crap. so just use high resolution ones. then what you do is you do a print save in high quality. so what you want to do is go to file, print, then select ADOBE PDF (you are printing it as a PDF - no paper used in this part). and then you have to go to some wierd advanced settings i think here and select print as "high quality" and also you have to change the size of the pdf so that it's the same size as the picture - ie. like 60 inches by 39 inches or whatever you save the picture file as.

Then you take this pdf file, and print it. I selected 11x17 inch sheets - they are only 30 cents for a color laser copy at the xavier annex - which is probably cheaper than printing with ink. Then there is a setting somewhere in the advanced or options part of the print where you print as tiles or something like that.

Then its printed as pieces. You can tell the worker at the xavier annex to print only certain tiles - so you don't have to pay for a white sheet. This saved me a few dollars. It's not an option on your printing menu, they have to do it from their main computer.

Then the next part is putting it all together. So you have to trim some of the white edges off and tape it to cardboard. I used duct tape loops to tape the sheets down and then clear packaging tape to hold the edges down. Then I cut it out/trimmed the extra cardboard out with a sharp bread knife. then taped the edges with packaging tape.

It takes a lot of work, but it's pretty cheap. about $5 for the printed pages for one big head and probably $3 worth of tape. The xavier annex has some people there that can help walk whoever through the process. they also have scraps of that white poster display material, which is very sturdy and can help buttress a crappy piece of cardboard. You can get big pieces of cardboard from the dumpsters outside the BSC.

I made the Urkel, Conklin and read ones with some friends. The method I explain below should cost $8 (3 for tape 5 for color sheets) and take 4-5 hours.

DON"T USE RASPERATOR PROGRAMS ONLINE - THEY DON"T DO A GOOD JOB AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically the way to do it is this:

go to xavier annex, get on a computer, save the image you want as a file - ie jpeg or any other image file, then open the image file in photoshop - this is on all the computers in xavier annex. Then use the lasso tool to trim the image and take out all the background stuff you don't want.

Then resize the photo in photoshop. I did mine so that it was like 60 inches the long way. If its a bad quality photo it's going to look like crap. so just use high resolution ones. then what you do is you do a print save in high quality. so what you want to do is go to file, print, then select ADOBE PDF (you are printing it as a PDF - no paper used in this part). and then you have to go to some wierd advanced settings i think here and select print as "high quality" and also you have to change the size of the pdf so that it's the same size as the picture - ie. like 60 inches by 39 inches or whatever you save the picture file as.

Then you take this pdf file, and print it. I selected 11x17 inch sheets - they are only 30 cents for a color laser copy at the xavier annex - which is probably cheaper than printing with ink. Then there is a setting somewhere in the advanced or options part of the print where you print as tiles or something like that.

Then its printed as pieces. You can tell the worker at the xavier annex to print only certain tiles - so you don't have to pay for a white sheet. This saved me a few dollars. It's not an option on your printing menu, they have to do it from their main computer.

Then the next part is putting it all together. So you have to trim some of the white edges off and tape it to cardboard. I used duct tape loops to tape the sheets down and then clear packaging tape to hold the edges down. Then I cut it out/trimmed the extra cardboard out with a sharp bread knife. then taped the edges with packaging tape.

It takes a lot of work, but it's pretty cheap. about $5 for the printed pages for one big head and probably $3 worth of tape. The xavier annex has some people there that can help walk whoever through the process. they also have scraps of that white poster display material, which is very sturdy and can help buttress a crappy piece of cardboard. You can get big pieces of cardboard from the dumpsters outside the BSC.

Excellent. Thank you.