SLU vs GA-The Good The Bad The Ugly

slu72

First time we in the Southland have seen them.

GOOD- Like the Road Unis, They do appear more athletic than past 4-5 years, love their guts in the past we'd have gone in the tank down by 20 w/ 11 min left

BAD-

Sorry 'bout that, fingers ran out of control

BAD- GA's quickness bothered us too many TO's, Can't seem to hit 3's on the road, A few too many bad shots on the inside

UGLY- WR going down with under 2 min left, God please heal him.... please.

There's a lot more impressions of Bills but have to collect my thoughts since I had a few too many Miller Lites while watching. But overall these kids will come together. Especially since they are tough minded. Yes, they could have won this thing tonite, but missed too many damn shots. We need someone to become a deadeye from 3 pt land. And again, please everyone say a prayer for WR tonite. Hopefully, it's an ankle and not a knee.

Great post, let's hope you don't get run out of town for being subjective...

I think this was inteneded for my initial two posts, so let me clarify. I do think if we played GA 10 times we'd split. We're in the same boat, though they have a little more experience. If we had anyone who could have matched the Ware kid tonite, it would have been a nail biter. I thought most of the 3's we took were all pretty good shots. We just didn't hit them. One pleasant change from the BS days and RM's first two teams was we weren't hesitant to shoot. Rarely did the shot clock run down on us to the point where we had to jack up a prayer. Also, the spacing looked a whole lot better. GA played pretty good D and got us into a bunch of traps which resulted in TO's. Chalk that up to inexperience at this point. It wasn't a smooth or clean game by any stretch. A lot of sloppy passes, by both teams, and our guys got their pockets picked a couple of times by some pretty quick hands on GA's part. Face it GA is gonna be bottom rung in the SEC and we may well end up bottom rung in the A-10, but at least there were some promising signs tonite that maybe we'll be ok in the future.

The first half was brutal! Very frustrating to watch. Georgia is not a good basketball team but we looked worse in the first half. We play half way decent in the first half we win that game and I think we win fairly easily.

In many ways this game was lost in the first 4 minutes. IMO even 1 early hoop would have changed the flow of the first half.

Didn't get to watch the game, but in looking over the stats in the P-D, I noticed two things which probably hurt us;

We didn't get any points from our new guard, Matt Dickey, and

On a serious note the box score shows Brian C. with 0 (ZERO) rebounds. Could that be right? how can a guy who works that hard not even get one rebound?

The bad

Ball security. Too many turnovers many of which were not due to the Georgia defensive pressure. Stepping on the line, sloppy dribbling, errant passes.

Failure to attack after beating the trap. When teams trap you and/or press you full court you will have numbers when you beat it. We were beating it fairly easily, but then held the ball across the line allowing the defense to catch back up. We need to move the ball quicker and attack the basket when we have numbers. We had a couple of shots blocked early and it seemed to affect their confidence.

Interior defense, the Bills don't have the numbers or the strength down low to defend 2 bigs all game straight up. We have to drop a guard down to double the ball. This hurt us with the 2 guards McAphee and Ward getting way to many open looks from the perimiter. Those 2 took 10 3's and all 10 were basically uncontested.

The good

The Bills got desperate and starting attacking late, making Georgia pay for the full court pressure. You can't let a team work you that hard in your back court and then let them get set up defensively and work you just as hard in your front court. If they press, you have to make them pay and the Bills did in the last quarter of the game.

We somehow found a way to work out of the shooting slump. We didn't let our initial woes turn into a 30 point blowout. Imo, that's the best thing to come from this game. This is a year of growth and learning, and hopefully a young team learned some valuable lessons last night.