Derrick Brown

ACE

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2009052...ld+be+NBA-bound

Just a little more in-depth article from the local news. He's got his undergraduate degree already and is on the bubble for the draft's first round- it will be interesting to see where he lands. Brown is as good as gone; he's in the process of talking with agents to get his representation in order.

Brown also had an interview with Andy Katz at the NBA combine this week. He told him he's more than likely not coming back, and that Miller's leaving has a little to do with that (said of Miller: "He's my man.").

So it's still not official, but I'm sure Xavier's staff is planning on him not returning.

Coach Mack has been telling all of the Booster clubs that Derrick has informed him he's gone for the past couple of weeks. Sad to see him go. I hope he gets drafted. X's season just got even more interesting.

My guess is that he'll just miss the first round and could slide to mid-second round. It was apparent in his play this year that he's got mental toughness issues despite his late lottery pick talent. One more year may have helped get him in that guaranteed money position. I still would like to see him go as high as possible, though.

Any other potential defectors on X's roster? I know some of those guys were pretty upset when Miller made the announcement.

My guess is that he'll just miss the first round and could slide to mid-second round. It was apparent in his play this year that he's got mental toughness issues despite his late lottery pick talent. One more year may have helped get him in that guaranteed money position. I still would like to see him go as high as possible, though.

Any other potential defectors on X's roster? I know some of those guys were pretty upset when Miller made the announcement.

It doesn't appear so. The one I was most concerned about was Derrick Brown as Miller and he were very close. I'm sure it helped that Mack was in on recruiting most of last year's freshman.

Brown is in the position to possibly be a first round pick this year. This years draft is extremely weak. There may not be an all star caliber layer in it. If Brown were to wait and failed to raise his stock he may not get drafted at all next year in a very deep draft class.

Xavier still has a ton of talent. They aren't a preseason top 10 team now but still in the top 25.

Brown is the kind of player who gives a lot of teams, including SLU big match-up problems. I certainly don't expect Jon Smith to be as good as Brown, but I hope that he can give us a bit of that element that will cause problems for opponents. You could tell from listening to Majerus on his radio show that he is very intrigued about Willie Reed and Smith being on the floor at the same time.