Potential A-10 shuffle about to happen?

Hofstra wants out of the CAA. It was never a good fit for them. The MAAC would be ideal for them but it looks like they may want to make a move to the A-10 since they are in it for football. No way they go down to the America East, one of the 3 weakest conferences in hoops. Does Fordham, with their finanical commitment issues, drop down to the MAAC and Hofstra moves up to the A-10? Hmmm, sounds like English Football relagation going on!

http://www.newsday.com/sports/colleg...0,819758.story

Hofstra explores parting ways with the CAABY STEVEN MARCUS | [email protected]

2:09 PM EDT, May 7, 2009

Hofstra will explore moving its intercollegiate athletic program out of the southern-based Colonial Athletic Association, persons familiar with the athletic program said Thursday.

Hofstra did not say what has prompted its exploration, but it appears the university would prefer to have more of a northeast profile. The Atlantic-10 is Hofstra's first choice, those close to the situation said, but no openings currently exist in that New England-based group.

Under the former administration of president James Shuart, Hofstra joined the CAA for the 2001-2002 season, leaving the America East right after the university's basketball teams had won two straight conference titles and bids to the NCAA Tournament.

Hofstra joined the CAA so its football program could elevate from independent status to membership in the Atlantic-10 conference, which later blended football into the CAA.

``We have not had any conversations with representatives from the America East Conference regarding conference affiliation,'' Hofstra athletic director Jack Hayes said in a statement. ``That being said, conference affiliation is a subject that all institutions review on an ongoing basis. The growth of our institution and its athletics program dictates that reviews of this nature take place.''

Hofstra wants out of the CAA. It was never a good fit for them. The MAAC would be ideal for them but it looks like they may want to make a move to the A-10 since they are in it for football. No way they go down to the America East, one of the 3 weakest conferences in hoops. Does Fordham, with their finanical commitment issues, drop down to the MAAC and Hofstra moves up to the A-10? Hmmm, sounds like English Football relagation going on!

Hofstra will explore moving its intercollegiate athletic program out of the southern-based Colonial Athletic Association, persons familiar with the athletic program said Thursday.

Hofstra did not say what has prompted its exploration, but it appears the university would prefer to have more of a northeast profile. The Atlantic-10 is Hofstra's first choice, those close to the situation said, but no openings currently exist in that New England-based group.

Under the former administration of president James Shuart, Hofstra joined the CAA for the 2001-2002 season, leaving the America East right after the university's basketball teams had won two straight conference titles and bids to the NCAA Tournament.

Hofstra joined the CAA so its football program could elevate from independent status to membership in the Atlantic-10 conference, which later blended football into the CAA.

``We have not had any conversations with representatives from the America East Conference regarding conference affiliation,'' Hofstra athletic director Jack Hayes said in a statement. ``That being said, conference affiliation is a subject that all institutions review on an ongoing basis. The growth of our institution and its athletics program dictates that reviews of this nature take place.''

I think the A10 would be better with 16 than 14. I have no idea if Hofstra should be added, but I don't like the unfair schedule the A10 now has.

I think the A10 would be better with 16 than 14. I have no idea if Hofstra should be added, but I don't like the unfair schedule the A10 now has.

Who along with Hofstra would create that? Do you think that would make the conference stronger? Also, would the A10 expand before it contracted?

Sooner or later, some dominoes are going to fall.

Who along with Hofstra would create that? Do you think that would make the conference stronger? Also, would the A10 expand before it contracted?

Sooner or later, some dominoes are going to fall.

Getting bigger makes no sense - I guess you could get bigger by 2 and then split into 2 divisions that never play the other division in conference or only 4 each year on a rotating basis - either way you end up with either an unbalanced schedule or one that never lets you see or play half the teams in your conf.

Getting bigger makes no sense - I guess you could get bigger by 2 and then split into 2 divisions that never play the other division in conference or only 4 each year on a rotating basis - either way you end up with either an unbalanced schedule or one that never lets you see or play half the teams in your conf.

I'd rather drop by 2 and get down to 12. That would be best in my opinion. Split into 2 divisions and then have each division play all in team divisions play each other twice and then out of division once.

I would be fine with adding Hofstra if we get to add another Midwestern school as well.

I know some people say they are happy where they are but I would still like to see Butler added to the conference. Them or maybe Bradley though I am not sure Bradley would leave the MVC for the A10(16).

If they did just add Hofstra that too could end up benefiting us depending on how they set up the conference. With 15 teams you can have three divisions. You would play the other 4 teams in your division twice. Once home and once away and play each other team in the conference once. Five home games and five away games. With the five teams you play away becoming the five home games the next season. This would allow us to develop better rivalries within the conference and give us two games a year with Dayton and Xavier and give us 18 conference games.

The divisions would have to look something like this. (North, South, and West)

North

Fordham

Hofstra

La Salle

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

South

Charlotte

George Washington

Richmond

St. Joseph

Temple

West

Dayton

Duquesne

St. Bonaventure

Saint Louis

Xavier

Current A10 Conference Map

Posted Image

Just looked up some info on Hofstra

Private School

Enrollment - 13,000

Location - Hempstead, New York

Arena Capacity - 5,124

2008 Attendance - 2,740

Number of NCAA bids - 4

Last NCAA appearance - 2001

Last NCAA win - Never

Furthest tournament run - First Round

Not the best resume,

I think if we are going to add to the conference we could do better.

Compare the above with Butler or Bradley

Butler:

Location - Indianapolis, Indiana

Enrollment - 4,200

Arena Capacity - 10,000

2008 Attendance - 5,945

Number of NCAA bids - 9

Last NCAA appearance - 2009

Last NCAA win - 2008

Furthest tournament run - Sweet Sixteen

Bradley:

Location - Peoria, Illinois

Enrollment - 6,105

Arena Capacity - 11,433

2008 Attendance - 9,600

Number of NCAA bids - 8

Last NCAA appearance - 2006

Last NCAA win - 2006

Furthest tournament run - Champ. Game Runner up

Why would Fordham leave the A10? They aren't competing right now, but I haven't heard any indication that they're wanting to downgrade. A couple of years ago there were a few folks on here complaining that St. Bonnie should be dumped from the conference. As I said at the time, I feel like we should at leeast be competing for a title before we start wishing that the conference would start dumping teams that have been around a lot longer.

I'd probably rather take a trip to the Bronx than Hempstead, LI.

The article mentions that the A10 is a "New England-based group". I think only 2 of the teams are actually in New England.

I don't think Fordham will leave barring severe NCAA sanctions of the A-10 kicking them out. They aren't under investigation and the A-10 will not throw out a member team. Fordham will be no better than UMSL next year so hopefully the tide will turn. I don't think a program like Hofstra would strengthen our league. At least make a few tourneys before you wanna move up.

Why would Fordham leave the A10? They aren't competing right now, but I haven't heard any indication that they're wanting to downgrade. A couple of years ago there were a few folks on here complaining that St. Bonnie should be dumped from the conference. As I said at the time, I feel like we should at leeast be competing for a title before we start wishing that the conference would start dumping teams that have been around a lot longer.

I'd probably rather take a trip to the Bronx than Hempstead, LI.

The article mentions that the A10 is a "New England-based group". I think only 2 of the teams are actually in New England.

Money, that's why. I don't advocate pushing anyone out, but when the head coach openly says they should drop because they refuse to make the financial commitment, well, then the talk is legitimately out there. Either (Fordham of Hofstra) would be perfect in the MAAC if they chose to go that route.

Hofstra, on the other hand, is making the financial commitment.

I would be fine with adding Hofstra if we get to add another Midwestern school as well...

Posted Image

I propose the Martin & Lewis conference, named after the late Ohio native Dean Martin and Missouri River explorer Meriweather Lewis. Both basketball fans. Great comedy team, too.

Xavier

Dayton

St. Louis

Butler

Drake

Bradley

Creighton

Evansville