Triangle and Two

i agree. the first 30 minutes was as depressing and ugly as it gets. i was probably one bad pass or missed free throw from leaving. i have NEVER left a game early.

nothing was going right. my son tells me last minute he is going to the althoff game. no time to get someone to go. my daughter gets asked to go to a party with her friends. dumped again. call the lovely anita, to tell her i am coming by the hospital to pick her up. "nope, dont waste your time hon, having a real bad day probably wont get out till midnight." all at once i am sitting by myself at the game.

next, after being pumped for the ross varner national anthem, three young girls come out and sing. what the hell.......but then ross goes over and gets the mike and sings anyway. he can really sing. fantastic job ross. thank you very much.

but then the game starts. brad starts all four seniors. didnt really have much choice. there is no one on the bench. the game is ugly from moment one.

then i start to think about leaving. about ten minutes left and i see my row was up for the hardees big burger deal. well gotta stay for that. it is a sure thing. wouldnt you know it, the two dimwit babes told the kid the wrong answer. i couldnt believe it. but then i have to give credit to the microphone babes. they gave us the burgers anyway. "hmmmm. things are maybe going to get better. let's stay a little longer.

all at once with 8:05 to go, brad calls a 30 second timeout. i remember it vividly because i didnt get the timeout as the tv timeout was due in 5 seconds. but strangely that was the turning point of the game. they came out of the huddle in a full court press. (brad later said on the radio, the billikens were playing so hopelessly bad he decided the only way he felt there was a chance was to create a frantic atmosphere.)

he put drejaj in, who could hardly walk and he, hunt, sloan, fisher and izik went to work. they just hustled their asses off. it was incredible. chipped away and chipped away.

clarke came in and did a very good job. he looked poised and made that huge shot.

i am so happy that phillip hunt gets a memory like that for a lifetime.

varner had bigtime rebounds down the stretch.

and fisher was just iron. he played the entire game. and just hoisted everyone up on his back in the overtime.

i can hardly talk i am so hoarse. i didnt sit much past the five minute mark. and i was screaming on those free throws by houston.

that game illustrates the billiken roller coaster. man the lows were low. but the jubilation is the best.

Roy - glad that you hung around. Did you stay for the autograph session after the game? Thought that was a nice touch by the "kids" to end the "home" season. I talked briefly to Drejai as he was heading for the table and he was still "pumped".

Now if we can get them to play like that for a 160 minutes next week in Cincy........