Closing in on Senior Day

TheBand

With "Senior Day" coming up and Liddell and Lish as two of the program's all-time best graduating... it brings to mind a pet peeve that I have with those ceremonies prior to the basketball game to honor the players.

I don't understand why every year the program puts together a montage of highlights of the player and then puts its to music that you might hear at a funeral service or wake for the player? Its always slow, emotional music that completely drains any positive "lets go kick some ass" emotion from the team and the fans prior to the game.

For those in the department that read this... Do the videos, they are very well done with highlights and pictures and all, but please, make the accompaning music upbeat and energetic. You're playing this video right BEFORE that player is going out to play a game. His emotions need to be geared that direction, same with the crowd and his teammates. He isnt dying...nor is he dead. He's just playing a final home basketball game, and while emotional as that is, you don't want depressing somber music to set that tone. Its a highlight video of his positive moments in a Billiken uniform.. treat it as such.

With "Senior Day" coming up and Liddell and Lish as two of the program's all-time best graduating... it brings to mind a pet peeve that I have with those ceremonies prior to the basketball game to honor the players.

I don't understand why every year the program puts together a montage of highlights of the player and then puts its to music that you might hear at a funeral service or wake for the player? Its always slow, emotional music that completely drains any positive "lets go kick some ass" emotion from the team and the fans prior to the game.

For those in the department that read this... Do the videos, they are very well done with highlights and pictures and all, but please, make the accompaning music upbeat and energetic. You're playing this video right BEFORE that player is going out to play a game. His emotions need to be geared that direction, same with the crowd and his teammates. He isnt dying...nor is he dead. He's just playing a final home basketball game, and while emotional as that is, you don't want depressing somber music to set that tone. Its a highlight video of his positive moments in a Billiken uniform.. treat it as such.

that said, i hope it isnt some hip hop disaster that while the 500 students might enjoy the majority of the rest of the arena would just as soon not hear either. agreed, dont play the funeral songs, but please think of the entire fan base when selecting the appropriate background music as well.

that said, i hope it isnt some hip hop disaster that while the 500 students might enjoy the majority of the rest of the arena would just as soon not hear either. agreed, dont play the funeral songs, but please think of the entire fan base when selecting the appropriate background music as well.

Yeah lets hear "Sweater Vest Vol. 3" featuring crowd favorite 'Sunshine on My Shoulders' by John Denver.... Its a freaking college basketball game. I swear sometimes the Billikens get confused with Bingo somehow

Yeah lets hear "Sweater Vest Vol. 3" featuring crowd favorite 'Sunshine on My Shoulders' by John Denver.... Its a freaking college basketball game. I swear sometimes the Billikens get confused with Bingo somehow

The board likes to complain about the lack of student involment, but they don't want them to gear the music toward them.

Yeah the kids should be able to play whatever kind of music they want, even if some of us old folks don't like it. Personally I would have an Alice Cooper medley, but unfortunately I'm not playing for the Bills this year, so I don't get that chance. Although I think I could still hit my free throws.