Kevin Stallings

courtside

Roy mentioned Kevin Stallings a few times recently so why not a Stallings thread? He's an interesting case study. Stallings was previously in the mix for past SLU basketball coaching opportunities.

He didn't have updated facilities at Vandy, he has had one of the toughest academic standards in the country in which to succeed, far tougher than anyone else in the SEC. After bubble near misses in NCAA's, he made the NCAA's on his 5th try. Interestingly enough, he was told by then Chancelor Gordon Gee that if he did not make the NCAA's that season, his 5th, that he would be gone. And, as the story goes, Stallings made the NCAA's, turned the corner in recruiting and success, and has recently received updates to some of the facilities for the basketball program, a new Chancellor of which he is friends. He's made 3 out of 5 NCAA's, including one 50/50 bubble burst. And, his current mix of underclassmen, is possibly his most talented as a group there, with zero Seniors, playng with an often injured center. Very bright things on the horizon there in the next few seasons. In the past he would have jumped at a state school opportunity in a good spot, but it looks like he'll be around a while. Good fit for both him and the school for a while.

Roy mentioned Kevin Stallings a few times recently so why not a Stallings thread? He's an interesting case study. Stallings was previously in the mix for past SLU basketball coaching opportunities.

He didn't have updated facilities at Vandy, he has had one of the toughest academic standards in the country in which to succeed, far tougher than anyone else in the SEC. After bubble near misses in NCAA's, he made the NCAA's on his 5th try. Interestingly enough, he was told by then Chancelor Gordon Gee that if he did not make the NCAA's that season, his 5th, that he would be gone. And, as the story goes, Stallings made the NCAA's, turned the corner in recruiting and success, and has recently received updates to some of the facilities for the basketball program, a new Chancellor of which he is friends. He's made 3 out of 5 NCAA's, including one 50/50 bubble burst. And, his current mix of underclassmen, is possibly his most talented as a group there, with zero Seniors, playng with an often injured center. Very bright things on the horizon there in the next few seasons. In the past he would have jumped at a state school opportunity in a good spot, but it looks like he'll be around a while. Good fit for both him and the school for a while.

I didn't know his boss told him that before the fifth season. That's not an easy order at the only SEC school that even remotely cares about academic standards for athletes. I think Stallings has taken the right approach, building his teams with solid 4-year guys and international players, the kind of guys that aren't showing up in the ESPN Top 100, but guys you can have a nice program with and who get it done in the classroom. I salute Stallings and Vandy on their approach, given the disgusting way some of the SEC programs are run.

So now Stallings is in his 10th season at Vandy, has 3 NCAA Tournament appearances, 2 Sweet Sixteens, and 4 NIT appearances. Last year's early exit was disappointing but nothing to get fired over when he's had that kind of success as the academic school in the SEC. My guess is that this year is another NIT year...maybe. I don't see him being poached by a bigger program because he hasn't had the kind of explosive success in a short span that those programs look for, just steady success over a long run.

Their facilities are certainly unique, if not considered great.

I didn't know his boss told him that before the fifth season. That's not an easy order at the only SEC school that even remotely cares about academic standards for athletes. I think Stallings has taken the right approach, building his teams with solid 4-year guys and international players, the kind of guys that aren't showing up in the ESPN Top 100, but guys you can have a nice program with and who get it done in the classroom. I salute Stallings and Vandy on their approach, given the disgusting way some of the SEC programs are run.

So now Stallings is in his 10th season at Vandy, has 3 NCAA Tournament appearances, 2 Sweet Sixteens, and 4 NIT appearances. Last year's early exit was disappointing but nothing to get fired over when he's had that kind of success as the academic school in the SEC. My guess is that this year is another NIT year...maybe. I don't see him being poached by a bigger program because he hasn't had the kind of explosive success in a short span that those programs look for, just steady success over a long run.

Stallings was not pleased with the NCAA ultimatum at the time, and probably to this day. However, he made the NCAA's, and eventually Zeppos became Chancellor and he is friends with Zeppos, which has really helped his long term Vandy interests. He's also very close to Tim Corbin the baseball coach.

In recent years, he explored bigger, easier to win at state schools such as Ohio St. and Indiana. Rick Greenspan at IU is one of his closest friends, but IU would never in a million years hire a Purdue guy. Otherwise Greenspan would have hired him there.

I wouldn't put it past him to leave after a good NCAA run season, to a larger school with easier academic standards, and an easier place to win greater on a more consistent basis. However, he finally seems content in Nashville, and it's a more attractive place to live than many college towns out there. The recent facility upgrades, and improved recruiting have helped. When Tim Corbin was approached by Oregon and Phil Knight with lots of money and resources to build a baseball program at Oregon recently, Stallings is credited somewhat with talking him out of it and staying at Vandy. Vandy has been improving their baseball facilities as well. Winning a bowl game in football, etc...7 top 25 teams for each of the past few years in sports, all doesn't hurt the athletics dept stature there.

As for this season, Ogilvy's ongoing foot injury will hurt them the rest of the year until it's healed. Not having a true point guard, nor depth there has been an issue, as well as the natural defensive inconsistencies of young players. They are bubble land this year and need to win some ball games. But their future is very bright. They have some talented new players as well as some coming in soon. He seems more content now than he has been there in the past.

Stallings has done a real nice job at Vandy, but I would think there are some definite positives with regards to recruiting at Vanderbilt. You are offering kids a chance to play in a power conference and to get a degree from one of the finest institutions in the country. Also, being in Nashville would seem to be a decent recruiting ground with players from Nashvegas, Memphis, and other southern kids could still be relatively close to home and have a chance to play against teams they grew up watching. Vanderbilt is down this year due to their youth, but they will be a force in the SEC the next couple of years. When I visited Vandy I was taken back by the number of gorgeous girls with southern accents and the nerdy guys with their Oxford Polos and Croakies. When I watch Vanderbilt play at home it seems like Memorial Gym is always jam packed and jumping. Pistol, don't you have a good friend from high school that dates and lives with a gentleman from Vanderbilt?

Stallings has done a real nice job at Vandy, but I would think there are some definite positives with regards to recruiting at Vanderbilt. You are offering kids a chance to play in a power conference and to get a degree from one of the finest institutions in the country. Also, being in Nashville would seem to be a decent recruiting ground with players from Nashvegas, Memphis, and other southern kids could still be relatively close to home and have a chance to play against teams they grew up watching. Vanderbilt is down this year due to their youth, but they will be a force in the SEC the next couple of years. When I visited Vandy I was taken back by the number of gorgeous girls with southern accents and the nerdy guys with their Oxford Polos and Croakies. When I watch Vanderbilt play at home it seems like Memorial Gym is always jam packed and jumping. Pistol, don't you have a good friend from high school that dates and lives with a gentleman from Vanderbilt?

The challenges outway the positives in recruiting. John Calipari and Bruce Pearl, and that's just in state competition. The entire Southeast Region is filled with schools not in the same stratosphere of academic requirements as Vanderbilt.

Gee and Zeppos were and are progressives, and changes have already been in the works with lots of things there. Zeppos has been there a few decades so he understands the school well, but things are changing there. The Commons residential system is the biggest change in philosophy. The new buildings there are incredible. Zeppos is also a champion of diversity, of race, ethnicity, Region, academics, etc...as was Gee. "Jewish Studies" might surprise the 30 year reunion types. Speaking of reunions, I've been there during a reunion weekend and you aren't kidding with the women. Remarkable, the physical condition of the female alums in the late 30's and 40's. Very impressive.

The challenges outway the positives in recruiting. John Calipari and Bruce Pearl, and that's just in state competition. The entire Southeast Region is filled with schools not in the same stratosphere of academic requirements as Vanderbilt.

Gee and Zeppos were and are progressives, and changes have already been in the works with lots of things there. Zeppos has been there a few decades so he understands the school well, but things are changing there. The Commons residential system is the biggest change in philosophy. The new buildings there are incredible. Zeppos is also a champion of diversity, of race, ethnicity, Region, academics, etc...as was Gee. "Jewish Studies" might surprise the 30 year reunion types. Speaking of reunions, I've been there during a reunion weekend and you aren't kidding with the women. Remarkable, the physical condition of the female alums in the late 30's and 40's. Very impressive.

Yeah, you are probably right. I just think with the recent success they have had and the other things I mentioned above that recruiting quality athletes to Vandy should not be overly difficult. Do you live in Nashville or go to Vanderbilt at some point?

Yeah, you are probably right. I just think with the recent success they have had and the other things I mentioned above that recruiting quality athletes to Vandy should not be overly difficult. Do you live in Nashville or go to Vanderbilt at some point?

The on the court success helps. The recent upgrades to some of the basketball facilities helps too. The success of the other programs, especially football helps and will help more moving forward. Being a top flight school is helpful, but it is also very challenging to get kids who can get in and handle it there. Most of the talented kids on some other teams, wouldn't be able to do it. I believe recruiting talented athletic football and basketball players at Vanderbilt is extremely difficult, and more so than many other places. There are sell points to the campus, facilities, academics etc...but many programs can and do win with less restrigents and requirements and challenges. That is the majority. For every Vanderbilt, there are legions of schools that do not care about academics.

If you think about it, getting great players and great athletes is hard enough, but the ones who have a much higher standard for academics is shrinking your recruiting pool by a lot. It's definitely harder. And, while the facilities have improved, they were in poor shape before for a long time. It's a very old building as well. It took Stallings a few years to get it going, but his last 5 have been impressive, and he has set himself up for a strong next 5 too.

As a Vandy season ticket holder, i just have one problem with Stallings. He wouldn't know defense if it was staring him in the face! The Dores can always score, but the lack of defense is ridiculous.

Doesn't suprise me that Gee gave that ultimatum. He came from and is back at Ohio State. They do things a little different up there.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. He was quite a find, most will agree. Snappy dresser and you can bet he'll be first to the stage to do a karaoke rendition of "Dixieland Delight."