This type of crap really irritates me.

Yeah it irritates me too (I have been railing against this drivel for a least 5 years). Historically, ESPN and USA-today have always had these types of lists which are a combination of bracketology and marketing. That is, they include Marquette as "on the bubble" (which for the record is not a defined term and used very differently by different people) and not SLU because they expect more "eyes" to look for Marquette.

Also, it is usually very slow to change: will SLU be in tomorrow if they beat Louisville? Are they putting teams in because they are "predicting" them to do well down the stretch? Logically, a *lock* would be a team that could lose all of its remaining games but Louisville was a "lock" in February. What if they had lost to Memphis? Could that have "unlocked" them? Basically, it is a logically sloppy way to think about (much cleaner is "who would be in if selected today).

Why Washington at all? and even if you ignore dozens of other teams in smaller conferences, why Washington and not Cal--and if Cal beats Washington are they in this list (which begs the question as to why they were excluded).

Luckily, the committee does not think this sloppily but this unfortunately muddies the water for anyone trying to clearly discuss chances.

I mean, Marquette certainly deserves to receive all the attention in the world, given the last year's run and for elevating the stature of their basketball program compared to years past. However, stop writing editorials on a national webpage specified for those teams who still have a legitimate tourney shot. To me, it would seem obvious to include a team like SLU whose PROVEN to this pt. in the season to be taken before a team like Marquette. Give credit where credit is due and leave the marketing/editorial aspect out of it if you're gonna be unfair.

your link doesn't show marquette on the bubble

it shows DePaul .. chill out .. here's what it says

perhaps you thought the Memphis logo was Marquette?????

ON THE BUBBLE: DePaul

C-USA looks like it's on the way to an all-time high five NCAA bids. Will it get six? That depends on DePaul and what happens in the conference tourney.

DePaul (17-8, 10-4; RPI: 54, SOS: 87) The Blue Demons beat Louisville in overtime last week. They play Cincinnati on Wednesday. DePaul has just two RPI top-25 wins, and a third would be very helpful at this point of the season. Beating Southern Mississippi on Saturday just adds a notch in the W column, but doesn't help the NCAA résumé. The Blue Demons also have wins over UAB and Marquette. What the committee will look at more are those eight wins over teams above 150 and all eight losses coming to teams 100 or lower, all of which makes the Demons an enigma into the C-USA tourney.

I saw the link the other day. Marquette was listed as "on the bubble." I guess they have been taken off since they are really credible as a potential NCAA team.

I think SLU deserves to be mentioned in this type of scenario but it will take a win over Louisville, Houston and make it to the finals or semis of the C-USA tourney to make the dance.

... that Marquette will be the first team EVER to go to a final four one year and miss the dance the very next. This is assuming they continue on their current path. That might be why Marquette is garnering more attention than others right now.

>... that Marquette will be the first team EVER to go to a

>final four one year and miss the dance the very next. This

>is assuming they continue on their current path. That might

>be why Marquette is garnering more attention than others

>right now.

Not quite, they'll be the first since Minnesota in 1998.

There have been quite a few others, off the top of my head I can remember Mississippi State in 1997 and Kansas in 1989 (after winning the title).