UAB's defense is a nightmare

i've taken great joy in marquette's slide back to the pack this year. good thing they grabbed the big least ring while it was there.

.. but like everybody else except a chosen few, they are a different team at home as opposed to on the road.

Marquette struggled with a depleted USF team on Thursday. I think they are just too weak. I don't see much there next year either as Merritt moves on. While I consdier him to be soft, his graduation makes MU devoid of anything down low. Novak is a 6'10" tree-point shooter much like Braun was. If you beat Deiner (up), you beat Marquette (up).

MU has 3 big men coming in next year, including 7-0 Greg Kinsella, who originally went to Rice but then left for a JUCO because he knew he could "do better than Rice." He'll contribute instantly for MU and be an upgrade over Merritt. The other 2 recruits are 6-8 245 Ryan Amoroso (37 inch vertical, possibly Mr. Basketball Minnesota) and Ousmane Barro, 6-10 PF who rates #3 at the Big Man camp over such players as Brian Butch (McDonald's AA last year) and others. Also returning is Chris Grimm, who is finally getting time at the 5 spot after injuries and illness in the early year, is playing very well too, so don't write off MU just yet.

Remember, this is the same UAB defense that made SLU look like a HS team (25 turnovers, was it?) and made MU look bad last year WITH Dwyane Wade. Just a bad match-up for certain teams with their incredible quickness.

>MU has 3 big men coming in next year, including 7-0 Greg

>Kinsella, who originally went to Rice but then left for a

>JUCO because he knew he could "do better than Rice." He'll

>contribute instantly for MU and be an upgrade over Merritt.

How is a kid who redshirted at Rice going to be an upgrade over a CUSA senior averaging 12 ppg and 6 rpg?

>Ousmane >Barro, 6-10 PF who rates #3 at the Big Man camp over such

>players as Brian Butch (McDonald's AA last year) and others.

What Big Man camp? Who else attended?

> Also returning is Chris Grimm, who is finally getting time

>at the 5 spot after injuries and illness in the early year,

>is playing very well too,

As demonstrated by his 0 point, 1 rebound performance in 15 minutes against UAB. Why do you feel the need to exaggerate the abilities of MU players and recruits, especially on a Billiken board?

...this gives me some names to measure up against next year. Some on this board feel me quick to point out the negative. Maybe so, but now, if neitehr of these three guys pan out for MU, I can have some perspective.

When one guy can do better than, say, Rice as you have here, maybe another guy can do better than, oh say, Elon. I thought Rice was listed by some as a bubble team just recently.

But seriously, I do mean thanks because the perspective will be worth it. Not that you're right or I'm right ... just to come back later and go "oh yeah I remember Law telling me about it" if it works and "hey, didn't you used to be ..." if it doesn't.

I've felt the same way about numerous recruits that we've had. Time will tell.

I said it in the beginning and I say it again, I don't think you can bank on a 6', slow point guard as your star. And I still think Novak is soft ... great shooter or not. Did I hear Andy Katz say MU is done? I wouldn't worry too much .. he also said Maryland is alive and I don't believe that at all.

>

>How is a kid who redshirted at Rice going to be an upgrade

>over a CUSA senior averaging 12 ppg and 6 rpg?

he redshirted because of a broken foot, otherwise he would have likely started. How will he be an upgrade? For one, balls, which Merritt too often lacks.

>What Big Man camp? Who else attended?

2002 Nike Summer camp, I believe (used to have the rankings on my e-mail account). Such attendees were Brian Butch, Greg Steisma, Juan Tellos Pelacios (sp??), many top senior big men in this year's senior class. However, it is possible Barro may redshirt next year since he couldn't play HS ball this year due to Illinois exchange-student rules (he's originally from Senegal).

>> Also returning is Chris Grimm, who is finally getting time

>>at the 5 spot after injuries and illness in the early year,

>>is playing very well too,

>

>As demonstrated by his 0 point, 1 rebound performance in 15

>minutes against UAB. Why do you feel the need to exaggerate

>the abilities of MU players and recruits, especially on a

>Billiken board?

In MU's previous 2 games Grimm played well (8 rpg), yesterday was a bad match-up for a guy like him (UAB is a bad match-up for any big man). No exaggerating his abilities, just pointing out that he'd been playing well which is a nice sign for next year.

Don't overestimate the loss of Merritt and Sanders, the 2 seniors on MU's team. In too many games this past season they've done MU more harm than good.

>...this gives me some names to measure up against next year.

> Some on this board feel me quick to point out the negative.

>Maybe so, but now, if neitehr of these three guys pan out

>for MU, I can have some perspective.

Everyone hopes for the best from recruits. We've got people here comparing Liddell to Hughes, Polk to some of the top guards in the country and Meyer compared to the great shooters SLU has had (Waldman, Highmark, etc). The guy I cannot wait to see for MU is Amoroso, who has scored 110 points and grabbed 50 boards in his last 3 games. He's got incredible skills, but time will tell if he'll be successful at MU.

>

>When one guy can do better than, say, Rice as you have here,

>maybe another guy can do better than, oh say, Elon. I

>thought Rice was listed by some as a bubble team just

>recently.

>

Yeah, Rice is a bubble team (on top of the WAC, I think). No different than Bryce saying he could do better than Elon. However, the difference is that Kinsella has 2 years on Bryce to develop physically and 1 year of playing at the JUCO level. Also, for perspective, there was some doubt about Tom since he averaged poor numbers at UAB and left. I'd say he's panned out quite well.

>But seriously, I do mean thanks because the perspective will

>be worth it. Not that you're right or I'm right ... just to

>come back later and go "oh yeah I remember Law telling me

>about it" if it works and "hey, didn't you used to be ..."

>if it doesn't.

>

>I've felt the same way about numerous recruits that we've

>had. Time will tell.

>I said it in the beginning and I say it again, I don't think

>you can bank on a 6', slow point guard as your star. And I

>still think Novak is soft ... great shooter or not. Did I

>hear Andy Katz say MU is done? I wouldn't worry too much ..

>he also said Maryland is alive and I don't believe that at

>all.

MU is done unless they win the CUSA tourney (same for Maryland). Not only is Novak soft (he is a hell of a shooter, ask Louisville, Kentucky, Mizzou, etc about that) but other than Grimm, whose time has been limted until recently because of injury and illness (hospitalized with that wicked flu that hit in January) MU's big men have been soft. Frericks nailed it in his comments after the game down here. As for the PG thing, St. Joe's seems to do OK with a sub 6 foot PG, the difference is that they have a consistant 2nd option for scoring (West) which MU too often has not. MU has been really hurt by defections, especially Odartey Blankson (averaging a double-double at UNLV) which is something Crean couldn't have planned on. You need senior leadership and he could have provided it, Merritt and Sanders don't.

"Everyone hopes for the best from recruits. We've got people here comparing Liddell to Hughes, Polk to some of the top guards in the country and Meyer compared to the great shooters SLU has had (Waldman, Highmark, etc)."

Most of the posters here have admitted they haven't seen these players play - they are hopeful but they don't state these hopes as fact as you tend to do.

As for comparisons, Liddell isn't the athlete or shooter Hughes was in high school, Meyer is a slasher not a spot up shooter and Polk, well, he really is one of the top guards in the country :-)

>Most of the posters here have admitted they haven't seen

>these players play - they are hopeful but they don't state

>these hopes as fact as you tend to do.

It's a fact that at this point just about anyone is an upgrade from Merritt in terms of toughness. I've defended Merritt for 4 years but reached the point where I just couldn't do it anymore. Kinsella WILL be an upgrade over Merritt in that area and Grimm already is. That was the fact I was stating to counter the "Marquette will be dead without Merritt" and "devoid of anything down low" argument I responded to. Fact is they will have something down low and all have the potential to be very good players - that's why the class has been ranked in the top 20 by some recruiting services.

Saw Luke Meyer score 28 against Hanibal to win their reginal...He bascially took over in the 3rd quarter and gave Borgia the win...In their previous win he hit his first 8 shots...He remains so calm and collected for a High School player...He is deadly shooter at mid range.